Motor and transmission swap - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Motor and transmission swap

Hi folks,

I have a 2003 KJ that has a stuffed 3.7 motor, but otherwise a good car. I am looking at swapping the motor out for something *very* not Jeep, and I want to make sure I know what I am in for before I start.

The first part of my plan is to swap out the 42RLE auto with a NV3550 manual out of a 2.5L diesel KJ. A few questions.
- Has anyone done this swap before, or know of what I need to look out for?
- Will the manual transmission bolt up to my Selec-Trac transfer case?
- Should I consider swapping the transfer case to the Command-Trac that is currently bolted up?
- If I keep my transfer case, will I be able to use my existing drive shafts (ie, does the transmission move forward/back in the tunnel)?

The slightly more complex part of this project is the new motor. I don't have a problem with mating it up to the new manual transmission, and everything from the flywheel back will be stock Jeep. I also don't have a problem with making it turn, as I will be using custom electronics that I understand very well. What I am unsure about is what I may need to do to trick the Jeep computer into thinking everything is awesome so I can retain safety features like the ABS, airbags, etc. Can I simply remove the Jeep engine computer altogether?

This is sure to be a fun project, even if it is a little nuts. Hopefully the brains trust of this forum can help me avoid the biggest issues before I start.

Thanks in advance.

- Alex
Old 07-08-2018
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

Subscribed, what engine do you have in mind?
Old 07-08-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 98 Times in 57 Posts
Default Swap

Good thing you say you know your electronics because you'll need those skills or a aftermarket instrument cluster. The ecm talks to the BCM and then the instruments over a CAN bus system.

I,m in the middle of fitting a pajero 2.8 turbo diesel to my XJ and was going to make up idler pulleys at the front to mimic the crank and camshaft sensors and use the original temp and oil senders all to make the factory gauges work and keep the original Petrol ECM to talk to the gauges. Lots of stuffing around but it's all on hold now due to health, thats why I bought my CRD KJ.

Anyway good luck with it and yes what motor are you thinking of fitting.
Old 08-08-2018
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

I know that the transfer case from my old 2004 V6 auto, bolted directly onto my 5speed manual transmission in my 203 2.5lt CRD. I used the driveshafts from my CRD all worked perfectly.

BTW. I have a 2.5 lt CRD and the manual transmission , full wiring loom and ECM with a GDE tune , sitting in a vehicle , was thinking of selling it. Car was a repairable write-off.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 08-08-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure this will make some of you lose your minds, but here goes.

It is an EV conversion. I have some pretty heavy duty components, including an 11" DC EV motor and a Soliton 1 controller. This will easily exceed the HP and torque of not only the 3.7, but the diesels and v8s.

Last edited by JeepEV; 08-08-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does a 2003 use a CAN or PCI bus? I was under the impression it is PCI. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_L...trical/PCI_Bus

I haven't actually tried connecting to it yet but that was going to be my first step while the car is in a state that still runs (on 5 cylinders).

Last edited by JeepEV; 08-08-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2018
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

That I can't help you with, The only kind of Bus I know, is the kind I don't like to ride.

Sounds like a big project. A lot of battery weight I would imagine???

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Post New Thread  Reply