KJ CRD Diesel Owners FAQ - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepboy79 View Post
Hi all, I've recently noticed some oil vapour on the side of the turbo housing. It's not a huge amount but nonetheless it will only get worse over time. Any suggestions? Leave it alone for now or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't tell you what is wrong as i'm only new in a CRD myself, but as a general rule I would somebody/mechanic have a look at it and then make up your mind. Could be something little and cheap to fix right now but if left unattended cost a lot more down the road.
Old 20-03-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TURBO HOSES no longer carried by Hyperflow. But Samco in Qld sell them direct (for less!) for $325 plus $21 for their own ultra smooth clips for hopefully no wear holes later on. Freight free! Makes me happy down here in Vic
07 5502 3636
Old 20-03-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default KJ CRD Diesel Owners FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Phet View Post
I couldn't tell you what is wrong as i'm only new in a CRD myself, but as a general rule I would somebody/mechanic have a look at it and then make up your mind. Could be something little and cheap to fix right now but if left unattended cost a lot more down the road.

Mechanic told me nothing to worry about right now, nothing can be really done.....basically wait till it goes and fix it then. I don't know..can I have some other opinions?

It's a KJ thing!
KJ Cherokee 65th Anniversary Edition
Old 04-04-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissociative View Post
And so here's what can happen when you ask your wife if she can fill up the Jeep while she's out picking up the kids. Really wish I didn't park behind her car when I got home...

Huge thanks to DarrenR, who not only let me have the car towed to him after hours and pushed it in, but even shouted me a drink while I waited for a lift. Great service as always

Awesome effort also to the Good Samaritan that pushed her put of the middle of a very busy intersection in peak hour.

Fingers crossed no damage, she made it about 10m out of the service station, heard some knocking underneath (like she'd run over something) before it conked out.
Oh oh I have been holding my tongue at this one!! as not wanting to embarrass one of my clients, but I see you have noted your wife as the destructor!! and clearly she doesnt come on ausjeepoffroad

Great pic, I love it when people document their adventures! Is the pic fair go to post on my work facebook page with the numberplate fudged :P

Regards
Daz

P.S and you do realise "picking up the kids" was nothing more than an excuse to get back behind the wheel of the mighty KJ CRD........ once a KJ CRD driver always a KJ CRD driver....

Last edited by DarrenR; 04-04-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: more useless BS
Old 21-05-2014
CrawlerStar

Default KJ CRD Diesel Owners FAQ

Quote:
Mechanic told me nothing to worry about right now, nothing can be really done.....basically wait till it goes and fix it then. I don't know..can I have some other opinions?

Firstly, wanted to bump my prior post, ideas regarding my turbo having a slight oil leak.

Secondly, as a diesel, how much smoke is ok? I generally see quite a bit at night in the lights of the cars behind me. Especially on take off. I certainly wouldn't consider myself a lead foot but I'm trying to work out if there is anything I can do to minimise the smoking? It's an 06 with 70,000 on the clock. I'm waiting on a workshop manual to arrive to help me make my way around the engine but any tips would e greatly appreciated. I love this car, want to make sure it's running well.

It's a KJ thing!
Old 22-05-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Firstly, wanted to bump my prior post, ideas regarding my turbo having a slight oil leak.

Secondly, as a diesel, how much smoke is ok? I generally see quite a bit at night in the lights of the cars behind me. Especially on take off. I certainly wouldn't consider myself a lead foot but I'm trying to work out if there is anything I can do to minimise the smoking? It's an 06 with 70,000 on the clock. I'm waiting on a workshop manual to arrive to help me make my way around the engine but any tips would e greatly appreciated. I love this car, want to make sure it's running well.

Is that 70 000 miles or kilometres ?

As long as the smoke is not blue white indicating oil dont worry, what u describe sounds about right.

black smoke that also looks bad in car lights at night is often just the unburnt fuel.

things to check with or without another tune, 1. is the engine temp ok, if like mine and many many others the thermostat goes and fails open and the diesel runs cooler than when new and in my humble the tend to be a bit cool anyway, this means in certain conditions the fuel is not completely burned. ie. fumes out the back. Two fixes, replace with standard thermostat or check lostkj site for moded thermostat, im trying to build a couple at the moment that will allow a choice of three standard tridon stats giving 180, 190 or 195 degrees choices.

2. get air into it, check air filter, check out the Gde tuning site it helps a lot, And make sure the boost pressure sensor MAP is clean as well the tune will help it stay clean too.

The fumes Never completely goes away, but you can improve it and have a little more fun while you are at it.

You shouldn't need much more than that to notice a difference for the better.

Let us know how u go with that.

Oh if u are worried about the oil leaks from the bottom of the turbo compressor, don't, they do that and it helps keep rust away. I have seen that reduced by putting in a catch can, though after the gde tune it seems to not quite need that.

If u have guages, boost pressure. and egt then consider monitoring it and I can tell u that on mine it did benefit quite a bit from a very small tweak of the wastegate actuator. Leave this for later consideration though there are a few things that can be done but just look at doing the first couple of items, chances are u wont need much else.

Last edited by crdjon; 22-05-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 29-05-2014
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdjon View Post
Is that 70 000 miles or kilometres ?

As long as the smoke is not blue white indicating oil dont worry, what u describe sounds about right.

black smoke that also looks bad in car lights at night is often just the unburnt fuel.

things to check with or without another tune, 1. is the engine temp ok, if like mine and many many others the thermostat goes and fails open and the diesel runs cooler than when new and in my humble the tend to be a bit cool anyway, this means in certain conditions the fuel is not completely burned. ie. fumes out the back. Two fixes, replace with standard thermostat or check lostkj site for moded thermostat, im trying to build a couple at the moment that will allow a choice of three standard tridon stats giving 180, 190 or 195 degrees choices.

2. get air into it, check air filter, check out the Gde tuning site it helps a lot, And make sure the boost pressure sensor MAP is clean as well the tune will help it stay clean too.

The fumes Never completely goes away, but you can improve it and have a little more fun while you are at it.

You shouldn't need much more than that to notice a difference for the better.

Let us know how u go with that.

Oh if u are worried about the oil leaks from the bottom of the turbo compressor, don't, they do that and it helps keep rust away. I have seen that reduced by putting in a catch can, though after the gde tune it seems to not quite need that.

If u have guages, boost pressure. and egt then consider monitoring it and I can tell u that on mine it did benefit quite a bit from a very small tweak of the wastegate actuator. Leave this for later consideration though there are a few things that can be done but just look at doing the first couple of items, chances are u wont need much else.

Hey there, thanks for the detailed reply, makes me feel a little better. Just a little concerned with the amount of smoke (always black) I see coming out of the tail pipe sometimes. I'll try to answer your questions as well as possible.

1) 70,000 kms
2) Engine temp is fine, always sitting just under half way
3) I'm using a snorkel with a K&N filter, (too much air?)
4) I'm also using a diesel tuning chip.
5) I need to check this boost sensor you're referring to, I have no idea where it is, I have a workshop manual on order, as soon as it arrives, I'll take a look.
6) Once I check and clean the sensor I will report back
7) The oil isn't actually leaking, there's just a collection outside the housing. Doesn't actually drip to the ground.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a KJ thing!
Post New Thread  Reply