XJ 95 Transfer Case Testing - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2002
Mopar or no car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default XJ 95 Transfer Case Testing

Awright, you lot,

help me with your experience. With the XJ 95, how do you test the transfer case. It's the last thing to test on this car before I buy it.

1. Whats this part time four wheel drive business. How should it feel.
2. How different does the full-time 4WD feel to the part time 4WD.
3. Should the car be operated in full-time, part time or 2WD on normal roads.

To all of you, these are no doubt dumb questions, but since I need the advice I'll allow youse to take the piss out of me as long as I end up with the right answers!!

Kramer

[ 04 August 2002, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Kramer ]
Old 04-08-2002
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,174 Times in 709 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

full time four wheel drive is running like any other all wheel drive vehicle (ie subaru landcruiser). you wont have the worry of snapping you axles when you turn. you would drive with this on the road.it may feel slightly heavier on the steering, but not overly noticeable with power steering. you can change this while the vehicle is moving.

part time is for offroad, it locks you centre diff and should not be driven on the black stuff while engaged. you can also change this while the vehicle is moving.

part time low range should only be engaged when the vehicle is stopped and in neutral.

there is more science behind all of this but i will let some other people give you that info [img]smile.gif[/img]

dont want to hog it all.
Old 04-08-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

What Jimmyb said is corrcet: Full Time is normal 4*4. Part Time (they should not really call it this) means the centre diff is locked. How can I put it simply. OK The rear wheels are locked through the centre diff to the front wheels & vise versa. This means the front and back wheels have to turn at the same speed: so one wheel cannot spin up faster than the other. This is an advantage as one wheel loosers traction it won't spin and slip so fast it becomes usless. *BUT* they have to turn and travell the same distance so on a hard service if you turn a corner in part time the outside wheel has to turn farther than the inside wheels. This makes the vehicle feel like it is dragging a wheel its called HUNT.
In full time 4*4 the front and back can spin and turn Independent of each other so you can turn corners without hunting a wheel.
OH this very hard e/mail me your phone number and I'll ring and tell you all about it. Also the 95 is one of the best they built (I think any way). There are some little things you should know. The only MAJOR problem is if the manifold is not cracked it may well do at some point. This can be corrected. Its due to heat and the stupid join in the pipe at the engine bay. Later models use a more flexable join to solve this problem. Water pump seal went on mine at 170-000 KM not a big deal. Other than that their a top truck with very few problems.
Its a UNI BODY as well no chassis.
PS: Never drive her in ANY 4*4 mode on pavement. They should never be driven over 80km and hour anyway in 4*4. On a wet road hard road like a HWY or Bitchernam it will give you NO advantage at all. The front diff is there to drag and climb the front of the vehicle over obsticals
not for driving to work in the rain. Some people get a false and dangerous sense of security in a 4*4 on the road: 4*4 will not help you at speed on a wet road, leave it in 2 wheel drive and slow down in the wet. Also this is not a car so don't drive it like one. On wet corners SLOOOOW right down Cherokee's are very very light and slide out easy in the wet on corners. ITS NOT A CAR. I can't stress this enough so many people have come to grief in a 4*4 on the road. OH yes they handle like a PIG in an emergency situation at speed as all 4*4s do. Putting a Jeep cherokee into a corner to quick in the wet is like walking on marbles. I think you are new to 4 wheeling and owning so I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs I hope.
PS:PS: No question from one Jeeper to another is dumb, so welcome to the family [img]graemlins/moon.gif[/img]

[ 05 August 2002, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: Jeepdownunder ]
Old 05-08-2002
Mopar or no car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks fellas, appreciate it. Sounds like
"part time" is low range,
"full time" is high range, and
"2 wheel" are dirty words!!

Appreciate the help,

Kramer
Old 05-08-2002
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. part time is either low or hi range. off road

2. full time. eg. might be for driving on hard sand

3. 2wd is for playing silly buggers in the wet.

enjoy and as JDU said, take a very different approach to driving it.

cheers
jimmyb [logged in on wifes laptop]

[ 05 August 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: nessiii ]
Old 05-08-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Kramer I'll e/mail my home phone number so you can call me direct. Mobiles give me the Sh#TS.
Like I'm gonna stalk you or something :rolleyes:
Post New Thread  Reply