Towing with wk2 petrol pentastar - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-02-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Old thread, how did you go with the 1.5T and 5speed v6 up hill?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
Old 19-02-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 107 Times in 68 Posts

Not sure if it will help but about 3 months ago I towed a Mars surveyor from Canberra to Newnes (blue mountains) and back, via Oberon. I’ve got the 8 speed pentastar.

Dry, the surveyor is about 750kg but I had it pretty heavily laden, probably would have been about 1100kg.

The Jeep handled it with aplomb. The roads were quite narrow (but sealed) and there were plenty of long and short hills. When I hit a hill, I didn’t try and stay at 100, I let it drop back to about 80 or 70 depending on the circumstances.

Barely any noticeable change in transmission temp and I’m betting I could have pushed it a bit harder but felt there was no real benefit apart from maybe shaving 10 minutes off a 3 hour trip. Fuel usage sat around 16L/100km.

The pentastar is in its element between about 2800 and 3800 rpm.

I don’t reckon you’ll have any dramas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Offroad Animal Front Recovery Points and Nudge Bar
Old 19-02-2019
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprod View Post
Not sure if it will help but about 3 months ago I towed a Mars surveyor from Canberra to Newnes (blue mountains) and back, via Oberon. I’ve got the 8 speed pentastar.

Dry, the surveyor is about 750kg but I had it pretty heavily laden, probably would have been about 1100kg.

The Jeep handled it with aplomb. The roads were quite narrow (but sealed) and there were plenty of long and short hills. When I hit a hill, I didn’t try and stay at 100, I let it drop back to about 80 or 70 depending on the circumstances.

Barely any noticeable change in transmission temp and I’m betting I could have pushed it a bit harder but felt there was no real benefit apart from maybe shaving 10 minutes off a 3 hour trip. Fuel usage sat around 16L/100km.

The pentastar is in its element between about 2800 and 3800 rpm.

I don’t reckon you’ll have any dramas

PS, it’s funny that this topic comes up now because I’ve just started looking into forward fold campers, specifically the lightweight forward folds like the Ezytrail Stirling Z.

Reviews on most camper trailers seem hard to find. There are plenty of infomercials inserted in camping and 4wd tv shows though

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Old 19-02-2019
RubiconSlammer

Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

The old towing thread.

In my 37 years of owning 4WD's and towing more regularly than most, I have worked out that the diesel engine is a more economical and relaxed experience.

The petrol engine relies on revs and sucks down fuel at a greater rate.

Each to their own, but I'll stick with the diesel.

Cheers, Craig
Old 20-02-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee30D View Post
The old towing thread.

In my 37 years of owning 4WD's and towing more regularly than most, I have worked out that the diesel engine is a more economical and relaxed experience.

Cheers, Craig
Agreed, I tow the same 1.4 ish t camper trailer with my 3.6 Wrangler and the 3.0 V6 diesel Grand, there's something about being at 40% of redline revs with the turbo boosting away in the diesel going up hills at 120 with the cruise control on which makes it pretty relaxing.

The alternative is the petrol motor revving closer to 70% of maximum to get the same power/torque outputs required to pass all the Caravanners up the hills at 120.

Both do the job though.
Old 20-02-2019
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee30D View Post
The old towing thread.

Cheers, Craig

I don’t think anybody disputes this, but it’s not really helpful to the OP who has the pentastar for their own reasons. So I think it’s still a worthwhile discussion.

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Old 20-02-2019
Established Member

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

One of the main reasons I got the diesel is when I drove dad's petrol it would barely pull the skin of a custard. Got to love torque!
Post New Thread  Reply