Steering 'click' - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Steering 'click'

I took a mate's 2007 Rubicon Unlimited for a spin yesterday and two things seemed strange to me. The first was that there was a bit of play in the steering wheel. Holding it at 12 and 6 and rocking revealed some play.

The second was an inconsistent 'click' feeling through the steering wheel. I drove it around for about 15mins and this click feeling was there the entire time but quite inconsistent/no pattern to it.

I can chase the cause of the play, but was surprised that a 5 year old vehicle would have that type of issue. I'm wondering if anyone has had the click and knows what it is?
Old 07-01-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOoz View Post
I took a mate's 2007 Rubicon Unlimited for a spin yesterday and two things seemed strange to me. The first was that there was a bit of play in the steering wheel. Holding it at 12 and 6 and rocking revealed some play.

The second was an inconsistent 'click' feeling through the steering wheel. I drove it around for about 15mins and this click feeling was there the entire time but quite inconsistent/no pattern to it.

I can chase the cause of the play, but was surprised that a 5 year old vehicle would have that type of issue. I'm wondering if anyone has had the click and knows what it is?
Yeah, it's a well known issue with JK's due to poorly designed intermediate shafts and cheap steering boxes that experience premature wear on the sector shaft bearings; many get the clunk (felt both through the steering wheel & the pedals) after only a few thousand kms from new. Other components on the front end (track bars, tie rod ends, etc) can loosen up contributing the problem; the fact that the vehicle you drove had play in the steering as well as the clunk points to a sloppy steering box as well as the clunky shaft.

Mine got the clunk (but no steering play) at 5000km & the dealer pulled the steering column & played around with different components; fixed the clunk but it came back after another 5000kms. Eventually the dealer did the only fix thats known to fix the clunk; pull the intermediate shaft, work in high-tack 5th wheel grease in between the splines where the two ends meet, & reassemble. Seems to have fixed it for now.

Apparantly the steering has been redesigned for the new models with a different firewall bracket & some other things that is supposed to have helped the issue somewhat.

EDIT: A slight clunk has returned after 10K kms, but not as bad as before.

Last edited by jklad; 06-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Mine has slop in the steering, have been wondering if the box is adjustable? Used to always adjust the steering box on my old vehicles, but this is the first one I have had with the recirculating ball system and I dont know much about them! I dont have any clicks or clunks, but do have about 1in of free play when sitting on the driveway (thats before the pitman arm turns) and when on the highway if on flat road can still move the wheel about an inch or more without the vehicle changing direction, if the road changes from normal camber to off camber you have to move the wheel prob 2 inches to keep it in a straight line..

EDIT: I have found info on the proper adjustment of the steering box, with centre vs off centre preload torque etc.. - along with the dire warning of doom if adjusted in the vehicle!!! Cant see why if there is play at steering centred and play at steering off centre why it cant just be nipped up a fraction. Mentioned it to the dealer and they said it was normal. Cant see how that much freeplay on a 2010 model vehicle is considered normal.

EDIT EDIT.... Just realised the OP wasnt talking about play in turning the wheel, rather in up/down movement of the wheel (I think!)

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 07-01-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seacomms; I have the same 1inch play in my steering. I didnt really notice it until recently I changed from driving my lowered car to the jeep
Old 07-01-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Seacomms; I have the same 1inch play in my steering. I didnt really notice it until recently I changed from driving my lowered car to the jeep
I had, and still have the clicking issues you're talking about. I also had issues with the steering after a few times on the trails. The I had issues with what felt like an air-bubble in the hydraulic steering. After arguing with the idiots at Meville DVG Servicing department several times, and numerous to and fro's from my house and leaving the vehicle with them, they eventually fixed the problem.

Still clicking, but at least the missus can park the car without wiping out half a camry wagon anymore
Old 08-01-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is there a TSB for this? I have the same knock/click in my 09 Jk

77 Grand Wagoneer
91 YJ
94 ZJ
96 TJ
09 JKU
14 WK2 Best one yet!
www.SurfFX.com.au
Old 15-01-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The steering play is an interesting one. I currently drive a 95 XJ which has had the chassis plates installed around the steering box (broke the bolts) and numerous other parts replaced in the steering due to play. There is still a bit of free play, and I would say it was similar to the 2007 JK that I drove. I was a bit surprised by this. It was also pulling to the left (just like my XJ before I installed an offset ball joint to correct it).