FSJ: 460 Big Block Ground up Resto - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-02-2015

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Default FSJ: 460 Big Block Ground up Resto

Hey.. New here, thought i would share my Jeep Build. Some of this wont make too much sense because its copied from a Falcon forum that i frequent on as I am mainly a Ford man, until I was given this Jeep from my dad, so here goes..

My dad owned it since around 91. He purchased the Jeep stock standard, 360 AMC, Turbo 400, quadratrack and D44 Front and Rear. My Mum dropped us to school every day up until 1997 she got herself a new Fairlane.

In 1997 he got the 460 EFI from the states with a C6 box, converted to a D20 Transfer, installed a Rancho 3" springlift, 3" body lift, had it resprayed in Maroon and silver. The Panel did a number on him though and used ALOT of spray puddy, not even a year later is started to crows feet and peel.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it during the original build.

So in 2001 it got sold to my brothers mate buggered paint job. In the 5 years he owned it all he did was strip it down to a bare shell and sand it back to Metal, 5 years later (2006) myself and my dad bought it back looking like this:

originally after getting it back we were going to make it something special, only to realise my brothers mate lost alot of parts and it was going to be alot of work in the short amount of time, as we wanted to take it to the Jamboree in 2006, Black Duck Valley.

We decided to paint it ourselves and turn it into a bit of a mud pig.

In late 2006 we took it to the jeep jamboree in black duck valley where i took it though the mud run... it swallowed a whole gut full of water and twisted 2 rods
heres a pick of it at the jamboree:

So we ended up buying a new short motor

so this is how it stood then:
460 big block EFI, Custom grind cam, roller rockers, double valve springs, heads decked 18 thou block decked 10 thou. EFI Heads, twin 50MM throttle bodies, 42PSI injectors, Haltech E11V2

XA extractors with Custom collectors down to a twin 2 1/2" exhaust with stainless mufflers

3" bodylift, 3" suspension lift with ES2000 shockies and custom springs

15" Custom Rims with 33" wrangler mud Tyres

C6 auto, dana 20 transfer case with dana 44 diffs front and rear.

It made 238rwhp at Chiptorque in Nerang.

Heres some pics of how it looked then:

More Coming...

Last edited by NUT347; 22-10-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 18-02-2015

Being a young fella, I did alot of stupid stuff in the jeep...

I hit a tree..

Got it bogged alot...

Hit up the Beach a few times

In January 2011 I decided the Jeep deserved a ground up resto, So i stripped it down to a body:

Old 18-02-2015

I then bought a 94 XR8 Falcon, Turbo'd it and lost interest in the Jeep. The body sat at my dads for 2 years until early 2013 a mate of mine sent me a link to a Jeep on Gumtree.

1982 Cherokeesports, 6cyl 4 speed manual, 505000kms, original, untouched and only 2 owners, the one I purchased it off had it since '85. $1400!!!

The build started.

All the useless stuff...

Somewhere along the line I lost alot of photos, but the engine was fitted into the Blue cars Chassis and i started mocking up the stuff i needed before paint.

for years I wanted to make a decent Exhaust.

1 7/8" primary pipes, flanges, v band clamps and mufflers. Extractors in mild and exhaust in stainless twin 3".

Left side, first primary.

2 hours later, I had this:

Then, 4 hours later I had the drivers tacked

Exhaust and mufflers mounted under the car

Extractors getting welded

Exhaust getting tig'd

Now, onto the engine. It needed a birthday. Carby was decided.

Dove A Ported heads, set up for stud rockers
Edelbrock RPM "air gap"
Comp Cams camshaft kit
Harland sharp gold series rockers
Demon 850 mechanical seconds
MSD dizzy kit
Fuel pump and reg still undecided.

It was then decided after many talks with my dad and Queensland Transport, that i would use the Blue body. This was OK in the department of transport eyes, as long as the old body was destroyed. It was a sad day, i sent the old body to Jeep heaven. It was too rusty and had a very dodgy repair from a previous accident.

Now that everything was dummy fitted the firewall needed repairing from removing the heater box and allowing for the engine:

Then, the body came off onto a body roller I made.

The body was painted underneath, rust proofed and sprayed.

Colour was always going to be Ford "Seduce". This was before the black highlights were done.

Old 18-02-2015

8 Weeks until my wedding, i decided to use the jeep as my wedding car... big mistake.

Chassis at my place, ready for a bit of work.

Bumper mounts welded up, exhaust fitted etc. Ran out of time to get the chassis powder coated, next year I think.

got a call, body is all done, chassis on the trailer ready to go.

Back together

And some photos.

The photos do not do the colour any justice, it's amazing.

In the shade it looks almost burgundy, but in the daylight it turns almost bright red with so much metal and the white pearl...

The whole car has now been prep sanded and only buffed where the badges etc are going, ready to be put back together. I have 6 weeks till dead line.

Heaps more to come, full autometer dash, power booster deleted in favour of a remote one under the gaurd, hydraulic handbrake conversion, new brakes, bearings, uni joints, hubs. 33s and 15x10 alloys still to go on, but it doesn't fit in the shed with them on
Old 18-02-2015

Master mounted straight to the fire wall.

Boosted mounted under the gaurd

Brake lines made

Hydro hand brake mounted and plumbed

New rubber flex lines

Wiper arms modified and mounted (changed to the old style wipers)

Wiring harness back in

....and

Can't wait!!
Old 18-02-2015

Valve springs changed over and rockers fitted

Engine bay harness refitted. Out of all those wires left over, only keeping one, positive to battery lol.

Head light wiring goes in behind the gaurd and the loom on the right is for the wipers.

It has eyes

Roof racks and rear doors filled with windows and locks.

180l stainless tank fitted, modified again for the 3rd time to have pickups at the bottom, rear wind deflecter also fitted.

Just have to do the engine wiring (positive to the dizzy) bolt the intake down and put the fuel system in and I'll fire it up :drinks2:
Old 18-02-2015

Fuel pump bracket made

Fitted and hidden out of sight behind the Shock and between the tank

Fuel line from tank

Regular mounted, plumbed to carby with 1/8 fitting for gauge

Coil mounted and leads done

Battery cable ran

Through the wheel arch

Out and into the battery box

Battery boxes mounted

Roof lining fitted

Rear doors done, I ended up painting the ash tray seduce lol

New door handle gaskets finally turned up from the states

Then....

Tried to fit the radiator. Must be a difference between the 6cyl front aprons compared to the V8s. Tried to fit the V8 radiator to find it was wayyy off from fitting.

Almost ready to slam the shed shut and come back after my wedding I bit the bullet and got the grinder out and decided to make my alloy Falcon one fit.

Came up alright, had to cut the support brackets out but I welded some bracing back in on the inside.

Upside, it will stay cool as with this rad, as before hammering through soft sand it use to creep up quite easy.

Anyway, got my dash back. I welded it all up and my panel beater glassed and smoothed it. Turned out well..

Before

After!

Only bad thing, he left the jeep cherokee sticker there :scratch: he offered to repaint it but time is running low, so I stuck an autometer sticker over it

Grill is back now too all repainted

Seats, carpet and shifter fitted

Dash fitted