Help get Silicon boost hoses in production! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2007
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the purpose of these hoses?

Is it the hose from the turbo to the IC or what? It looks like the hoses going to the radiator from the engine.

I'm a little confused
Old 16-11-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmm, I made the same assessment when I checked out my boost pipe (determined by the fact that it descended to the turbo). These thick babies I believe are the boost pipes (thus the big tear in the pic above). Have heard far to many stories about burst pipes on these Jeeps. If you give the pipe a tender squeeze, you will feel how thin and flimsy it is. I have a 1.4tdi VW Polo and it has real boost pipes not these sissy pipes. It is on 114000kms and no pipe problems (besides the need to replace a faulty clamp at around 2000kms).
Anyway these pipes head to the front of the vehicle I believe to be cooled before the air is cramed back into the engine.

None the less, if I can get my paws on these new pipes I will, much rather install them and prevent a very unhappy moment when they burst and leave me puttering around like a tractor (NA). Plus I believe you spray oil in this case, mist.
Old 17-11-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aha I had a little look in my engine room today. I just returned from driving back home from work, and one of those hoses were hot to the touch. Not scalding but not something which would be pleasant to hold on to for more than a few seconds.

I believe it was one of the intercooler hoses as they led back to the place on the engine over the oil filter. You know the spot with a tiny heat shield on. Probably is the turbo spot I'd gather
Old 17-11-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup, I have also just had a squiz at my pipes. The air filter goes in on the side of the turbo, then the ENG OUT pipe comes up and along to the middle device (Intercooler I assume) CAC IN. Then the CAC OUT goes along the other side of the engine up an in. Definetly the boost pipes (in browsing I see where my oil is coming from that arrives on the oil filter).

I checked my Polo's boost pipes and the ENG out pipe has also got oil on it. I then decided to attack my mom's Freelander TD4, interesting engine layout (transverse), but it has oil on the ENG out and ENG in (not that rare for a landy to leak oil :>). The landy is a 2006 model and the Polo 2004, so it appears that Turbo Diesels leak oil from their boost pipes at various spots.

In a Jeeps case the burst and leak. None the less the Polo and landy make use of plastic portions of pipe then into healthy thick pipes.
Old 17-11-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL, there is a saying that if a Land Rover isn't leaking oil there is a problem - most likely a complete lack of even the slightest fume of oil in the pan
Old 27-11-2007
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, to keep you updated yes samco is going into production, samco is sending me a set(hopefully to arrive soon) to be tested.

As far as vendors go, yes I am sure you will be able to purchase these through vendors down under. Our plain in the states is to organize a groupbuy through a samco recommended vendor.

When the time comes, you can check to see what a samco vendor in your area will charge for the hoses, or if our vendor in the US will be willing to ship the hoses international(we have KJ owners across the globe that are interested), and lastly depending on the numbers I may be willing to individually ship the hoses overseas, though I suspect this will add about $30-40USD onto the purchase price.

As far as price goes, we have heard nothing from Samco yet on that, I suspect something about $200USD, but that could tip HIGHER very easily.

Here is the picture samco sent out of the set, it looks like I will be able to test the set out on at least two KJs before reporting back to samco.
TCS380
Old 27-11-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For how long will this test run? Is there a way one can do some acceleration of the tests?

I mean, why not test them on a compressor in a heated chamber. Heat has a very bad influence on reliability in general.

I just saw my boost hoses today as I revved the engine after changing oil, air and fuel filters at 120,000kms - they expand quite a lot!!