"Low Oil Pressure" - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-09-2010

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeh the idiot got angrier than me. I don't really want to talk to him again. Might drop in one arvo and throw it down on his desk and walk out...

yeh greenjk, im annoyed I didn't do it myself. Just didn't want to have to do the diff oils without a hoist. have to do the gearbox now anyway though
Old 22-09-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Hey, this is not the first time this has occurred. Another member had this happen and his engine spun a big end bearing not long after as a result.

I would say you need to contact the mechanic IMMEDIATELY and show him what he did wrong. It is now his insurance which will have to cover repairs to your engine (and I wouldn't let it be repaired after having low oil pressure, I'd be demanding an assembled crate motor so that cletus doesn't have the opportunity to screw up anything inside it).

PS: don't think your vehicle has a DPF (look underneath it, it's a huge thing which will be running alongside the gearbox with the exhaust)

Last edited by Yom; 22-09-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 23-09-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mark

I sort of half agree with Yom If this was me i would make sure you cover your self and document the filter condition let the mechanic know what you found and allow him to replace the filter and run up the motor with you to see if this fixes it. If you can get him to do this he is admitting liability for his stuff up then Ask him nicely to reimberse you for the sensor you replaced and see if he will, this will also help you if you need to claim motor repairs on his insurance. I would then put in a formal complaint to the licencing body with your photos and reciepts from the other mechanic plus sensor receipt and send copies to the mechanic, as if this has done any damage to your motor you maybe up for big money for a new motor and you maynot know for several months. It would also pay to have a lab test an oil sample at the next oil change as this will pick up if you have any excess wear in the bottom end. There are labs around that you can send a sample to and they will test the oil and send you back a report. There are some Diesel mechanics on the forium that maybe able to recomend a Lab

Oil - you should always use fully synthetic in this motor. From what i have seen, None of the VM motors in the JKs have particulate filters in Australia, so you dont need to spec the oil for particulate filters, but it wont hurt if you do. If you look in your book under the oil section in the back it gives you a specification / approvals list with from memory, ACEA A3/B4 and MB 229.51 (this is a mercedes Benz approval Number). If you look at your oil specs it will list what specification or approvals the oil has. As long as it is at, or better that these, you should be ok. It is hot where I live so I use a 5w-30 oil not the 0w-30 or 40 listed in the book.
Hopefully the new oil filter will fix your problems, let us know how you go

Last edited by Bluey; 23-09-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 23-09-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

to cover yourself totally (the cost of a new engine would be huge) get copies of the photo and paperwork and have solicitor send the offending mechanic a letter detailing the problem found . could be worth it later if engine blows. if not it has been good insurance.
Old 23-09-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which clowns in town did u take it too, so i know where not to go ,as for the dealer 900ks away they arnet much chop in the service dept office. i think the workers out the back have got the brains. Had to drive all the way over to get told that my rancho steering dampner was better than the standard one being replaced on the recall and then had to give them permission to not touch anything, all this after trying to get the replacement sent out to their isa dealership(not jeep)but hey 4 days in townsville was worth it
Old 26-09-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Watty, took it to Mount Isa Auto Centre on Duchess Rd. I still can't believe I did that...

Unfortunately there were no filters in town and I had to get it airbagged in, which typically didn't arrive on Friday. So will have to wait until tomorrow to see if it solves the problem. fingers crossed.

I can't get the mechanic to fit the filter as I need to put it in before driving it. I don't think there is anyway they would sign anything to take blame if something goes wrong. Yes they put the filter in wrong, but I took the car from them because I didn't feel at the time they could fix it. I had to get a socket modified to get the oil pressure sensor off, which I did after I took the car off them - they didn't have the tools. So I took the car without proving that it had oil pressure and probably ran it more than they did.

I would say it ran for a max of an hour and did about 30 kilometres all up. In saying that, the light would only come on for a moment then go away for a while, so it must of got oil through for the majority of the time. Any idea how long that other guy ran his car for with the issue Yom? Did the bearing fail long after? I don't think there is much chance it would have damaged any bearings. I'm assuming the bearings don't lap the oil in the sump at all?

So I don't think a solicitor would get anything out of this guy because I lost confidence in the mechanic in fixing it, and drove the car away. I payed for the service and parted ways. I don't care too much about the ~$300 since then to fix it (not worth the fight), I just want the car running. I am worried about the slim chance those bearings could fail, but just dont think I could get anything from them, and would just end up wasting alot of money on solicitors.
Old 02-10-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I finally got a new oil filter Thursday, after being screwed around a couple of times. Fitted it, and bam! all fixed. not a problem since. Need to pay a visit to the mechanic early next week.

Thanks for all your help guys. undoubtedly saved me alot of time, money and frustration. its always the simplist of things isnt it!
Post New Thread  Reply