'07 Diesel or Rubi? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default '07 Diesel or Rubi?

I have an '07 JKU CDR auto which is looking like it may well get written off so am considering potential replacements. The only money I will have is the money from the insurance of the original '07 CRD so I will be looking for another JKU of similar value.

On the whole I have been happy with my current Jeep but have found I do a whole lot more wheeling than I expected when I bought the car so am considering upgrading to a Rubicon. In particular I'm after the Rubicon's front and rear lockers as well as the sway-bar disconnect but am concerned about the fuel economy and apparent lack of power of particularly the older unleaded engine. My wheeling is not that extreme and I am confident a stock Rubi would be sufficient in stature, I am just concerned about the engine.

I also know that if I were to get another diesel I could optionally upgrade to the rubi extras (or better) in time but I am afraid I won't have the money to do any upgrades for quite some time, so my options at this stage are really either a stock CRD or a stock Rubi.

Any advice?

Last edited by S.Bartfast; 12-10-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2013
RubiconSlammer

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Ive got an 08 auto rubi shorty on 4.5 inch with extras. Lack of power??? 4:1 tranfers, 4.1 diffs with bigger splines.... I dont know how u drove ur crd, but i have no problem with the 3.8. And when i go camping, i tow a camper, weighs about a ton loaded, and take it through some tricky stuff
Old 12-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyd View Post
Lack of power???
I've only ever driven the diesel myself but from what I've read I've gathered that particularly the older unleaded JK's were somewhat lacklustre. The Pentastar engine seemed to address many of the concerns but I'm told even the Pentastar doesn't quite perform as well as the CRD. I can't see myself getting a Penti, so really I'm wanting to compare the CRD to the older donk.

I don't tow anything of any significant weight, so I guess power isn't a huge issue, but I am concerned about fuel usage...
Currently I seem to get about 12L/100km in my CRD (Redbook says it should be 9.9L/100km). What kind of economy do people get from the unleaded engine (Redbook says it should be 11.9L/100km).

Last edited by S.Bartfast; 12-10-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2013
RubiconSlammer

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Depends on many variables, on mine with 33 4 speed auto, I'm on about 14 / 100
Old 12-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyd View Post
Depends on many variables, on mine with 33 4 speed auto, I'm on about 14 / 100
Thanks.
Yeah, I'm sure there are many variables but I'm just after a general idea. 14 per 100 would be acceptable though.

BTW: Part of the reason I'm asking is because of this thread: JK Diesel or upgrade to RubI?

Which contains this response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
The Pentastar, while being miles better than the old petrol motor, is still not in the same league as the CRD. Consider yourself lucky that you are a CRD owner.

BTW, as others have stated previously on this forum the CRD is an extremely reliable and well proven motor than has seen many years service in London cabs.
(notwithstanding the weak turbo hoses, but there is a cheap and easy fix for that, as provided by Samco).
Old 12-10-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

Ive gone from a 2010 CRD to a 2013 Rubi.

For the type of driving I did, and now plan to do, I cant see myself going back to the CRD.
Having said that, you cant have your Rubi and a CRD economy, but you do get bucket loads more kw!
Old 12-10-2013
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

The CRD is not extremely reliable..... it has a significant history of valve train failures, injector problems, clutch issues, oil cooler cracks, fuel line breakages and other minor failures. Most of the time they are quite costly to fix.

These new generation diesels are light weight and high speed ( for a diesel anyway... ) and can't be compared with the old generation of virtually indestructible diesels which developed the "reliable diesel mindset" for the general public. If it wasn't for the sophisticated injection systems managing cylinder pressure rise they wouldn't even be possible.

Talk to those that do repairs and the CRD is a common problem. Interestingly the old 3.8 seems to just keep hanging in there and some now have lots of km's on them.
Although there were some early 3.8 bearing issues which IIRC were linked to the Mexican produced engines.

The Penatstar is an unknown simply because of its newness, but it is a much more modern engine in its design whcih shows up as power / economy and driveability gains. There were early cylinder head and some wiring issues which seem to have been resoled after a couple of revisions.

Early on I was pissed there wasn't a diesel Rubi, now every broken diesel I see in the workshop makes my thankful i didn't get one.

Last edited by MightyMouse; 12-10-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply