Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 263 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

What size are they and what pressure do you run them at.

I've no experience with those specific tyres but I found my 285/70/17 MT 4-ribs chipped worse than I expected in the High Country, even on relatively easy trails. I was running them about 23-25psi. I ended up dropping them to around 20psi and the the they didn't chip up as badly.
Old 05-01-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem or has seen it before. I posted in another thread that I was unhappy with my Maxxis Bighorns because they had worn very quickly and had chunks missing all over the place. They've done about 15,000 to 20,000 km and are about two years old. I normally only use them for off road trips as the day to day travelling is done with the stock tyres. Today I decided to refit them for the summer season and I noticed that all of them have fine cracks particularly around the base of the treads but also in the carcass

I reckon that I'll get this summer season out of them before they have to be replaced I don't wheel particularly hard, just around the High Country which I've been frequenting now for over 30 years. I've never had a set of tyres fall apart so quickly, they're worse than a few retreads that I ran on my Cruiser for a couple of years when I was poor. I'll just keep them on the Jeep now until they are dead which won't be too long as I reckon I'm going to tear off complete tread blocks next time out.

I have contemplated taking them back to Bob Jane and having a bit of a winge but I don't like my chances being so far out of warranty.
Got a set that I had been using on my Pajero for offroad only as they were too noisy for daily use. Spent more time off the vehicle than on. Each time I came to use them there seemed to be more cracks. Chunks taken out were from wheeling on hard sharp rocks ie granite.
Rubber, from what I understand, actually goes off or becomes brittle from lack of use.
Old 05-01-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 67 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem or has seen it before. I posted in another thread that I was unhappy with my Maxxis Bighorns because they had worn very quickly and had chunks missing all over the place. They've done about 15,000 to 20,000 km and are about two years old. I normally only use them for off road trips as the day to day travelling is done with the stock tyres. Today I decided to refit them for the summer season and I noticed that all of them have fine cracks particularly around the base of the treads but also in the carcass

I reckon that I'll get this summer season out of them before they have to be replaced I don't wheel particularly hard, just around the High Country which I've been frequenting now for over 30 years. I've never had a set of tyres fall apart so quickly, they're worse than a few retreads that I ran on my Cruiser for a couple of years when I was poor. I'll just keep them on the Jeep now until they are dead which won't be too long as I reckon I'm going to tear off complete tread blocks next time out.

I have contemplated taking them back to Bob Jane and having a bit of a winge but I don't like my chances being so far out of warranty.
I had 285/70/17 bighorns on my shorty and done 15000k on them before I sold it and they wore really well and didnt chip up as bad as the pics. I was so happy with them that I have got the same for the jku

2013 commando green JKU
Formally Commando Thunder
" Live everyday like its your last "
Old 05-01-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-JK View Post
What size are they and what pressure do you run them at.

I've no experience with those specific tyres but I found my 285/70/17 MT 4-ribs chipped worse than I expected in the High Country, even on relatively easy trails. I was running them about 23-25psi. I ended up dropping them to around 20psi and the the they didn't chip up as badly.
They're 285/70/17. I run them at about 32 psi on road and 18 to 20 psi off road. I had a set of el-cheapo Nankang Mudstars on my GQ and they faired much better than the Bighorns. The only ones I've seen this bad for chipping are the early Goodyear Wrangler MTs
Old 05-01-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruju View Post
Got a set that I had been using on my Pajero for offroad only as they were too noisy for daily use. Spent more time off the vehicle than on. Each time I came to use them there seemed to be more cracks. Chunks taken out were from wheeling on hard sharp rocks ie granite.
Rubber, from what I understand, actually goes off or becomes brittle from lack of use.
I reckon my chunks are coming off because of the cracking rather than sharp rocks. If you look at the last picture you can see one tread block with a chunk missing and the block above is pretty badly cracked, next trip out I'll bet that there'll be a chunk out of that block too. I've had a look at the DOT codes on these tyres and they were all made in the 51st week of 2009, perhaps I got a bad batch? There might have been a bit too much Christmas cheer at the Maxxis factory that year

As I said in the post above, I didn't have this problem with the Nankangs on my GQ and they were an off road set that I had for over three years.

In future I won't be running two sets of tyres, like many here I'm over doing wheel changes.
Old 05-01-2014
AJOR Silver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

try their treps :P
http://bit.ly/1eFBSY5
Old 13-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

Put a set of new OME 2 inch lift in. running with 32(275s) tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5173.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	66178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5146.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	66179  

CRDJK
Post New Thread  Reply