XJ Factory roof racks with steel mesh basket - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default XJ Factory roof racks with steel mesh basket

Hi, i was wondering i have purchased a steel mesh rhino-rack basket and it came with u-joints, this was purchased of gum tree. now the u-joints are bit big for what i need but they still tighten up and hold it tight. my problem is will this all be okay or do i need to change the racks? or change the u-joints? just trying to be safe, i am not sure how much those racks hold either, but it seems to be okay with the basket on top.

can somone please let me know if this will be okay, thanks.

This is the rhino-rack i am using: http://dealer.rhinorack.com.au/AccSu...ket_126_9.aspx
Old 04-04-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Probably not the same situation as mine is a JK with an Offcamber fabrications roof rack, but with regards to the quality of the U bolts, I bought a Rhino-rack mesh platform for it.
The U bolt kit they sold me for it is being used by the kids to hold their Lego together.
Nothing wrong with the actual rack at all, in fact the medium size racks tube frame aligns with the OF rack flanges almost perfectly.
This is why it's held on with four 10mm U bolts plus bolts and plates at the cross beam to stop it from rattling.
Strong enough to carry a palet of bricks I recon!😃
If I hit a land mine the last thing which parts company on the Jeep will be the platform from the rack.
Note that the reason I fitted a platform type was so it would still fit in the carport. (By less than an inch.)
Old 04-04-2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi i feel like your reply didnt really give me an answer to my question sorry.
Old 04-04-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

I've got one of them and it works fine with the supplied U bolts. I've found you can't put anything more than a spare tyre and and other light stuff like a tent before she starts to bulge. IIRC 75kg max, which would include the weight of the basket.

Correction.......... 68kg

Last edited by Billnick; 04-04-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Checked loading
Old 05-04-2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnick View Post
I've got one of them and it works fine with the supplied U bolts. I've found you can't put anything more than a spare tyre and and other light stuff like a tent before she starts to bulge. IIRC 75kg max, which would include the weight of the basket.

Correction.......... 68kg
All i wanna do is plant canping gear so like 3 tents, a mattress, and some other little stuff, mattrss weiggs like 9kgs abd all tents weigh about 6kgs, so not much overall, i just dont want it collapsing on my road trip lol
Old 07-04-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All, hope this goes well first post here. I am thinking of purchasing a WK Grand Cherokee. I would appreciate some constructive feedback on some things I have read from googleing about Jeep.
Firstly are their issues with Dealers post sale and also with Customer Service at Jeep. Are parts hard to get a hold of? Can the roof hold a roof top tent? Is the Quadralift worth the money and can it be installed post purchase of the vehicle and is the cost the same? What do people think of purchasing a further 3 year warranty is there value for money?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks in advance.

Outdoorlover
Old 07-04-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Outdoorlover;1459939]Hi All, hope this goes well first post here. I am thinking of purchasing a WK Grand Cherokee. I would appreciate some constructive feedback on some things I have read from googleing about Jeep.
Firstly are their issues with Dealers post sale and also with Customer Service at Jeep. Are parts hard to get a hold of? Can the roof hold a roof top tent? Is the Quadralift worth the money and can it be installed post purchase of the vehicle and is the cost the same? What do people think of purchasing a further 3 year warranty is there value for money?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks in advance.

Outdoorlover[/Firstly (best to run this as. ) A new thread ,as for dealers ,ask the questions, warranties are not just the factor in purchases available spare parts and the cost, if in stock ,hard to get a straight answer on this but if you like the vehicle ,try a few different dealers of jeep gather the info and judge from there your purchase .Not just Jeep other brands as well ,would be interesting to run a sticky on car purchasing and the tricks of the traders as well a run down on the fundamentals of buying, Good luck I know very little but you can't
help but take on board what info is supplied on this forum it's a beauty.