4.0l XJ overheating? Start here - the basics! - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Rodge... great run down on one of the most commented/posted/talked about topics regarding the good O'll XJ... for a new comer to the brand of JEEP, its certainly great to read your experiences/comments... Ive changed most things on my cooling sys even putting in new welsh plugs when I got the jeep last year and shes running great here in hot/humid Brisbane..runs at 97deg in most instances, never goes over 105 in crawling daily traffic...I use a alloy friendly 50/50 mix of NULON ULTRA COOL.. it contains no Glycol. Its formulated to keep rust/scale /sludge/corosion and electolysis away... seems to work well.. I removed the bulky plenium chamber box that sits on the intake and fitted a older xj intake hose to stop heat soak, also removed the lower skid plate.

thanks
Steve

Last edited by SJCXJeep; 03-03-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2011
Symphony Composer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
this is why we have a problem here we have knoledgable people being pissed of by people posting totaly non relevent crap in the tech info threads
This is why I'm staying out of this thread from now on. We have stuffed a totally good piece of info and picked the crap out of it...

Nice try Rodge..

I was thinking I should post Rodge's thread on a web page like Go Jeeps, so it can't be cannon fodder....

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump
Old 03-03-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts
Default 50/50 ... 30/70

Good point Rodge .....

Generally the mix is referred to as eth-gly/water .... so 30/70 is 30% eth-gly.

But it only needs to be written or referred to once ... in the reverse - and its all out the window.

The ratio numbers have no real reference to the anti-corrosive additives, coz thats measured in teaspoons/tablespoons/whatever .... per litre of mix .... regardless what the mix ratio is.

Which coolant grade to use ... and even which type is a drivers choice depending on what they know or whether they are warranty bound.

There is 4 sources of anti-freeze mix info ... Ooooops ... 5 sources ... thanks Nakkas ...

First is all the knowledge, beliefs, experience, opinions, facts AND fairy tales on car forums,
Second is the "our coolant is special" drivel from the car manufacturers,
Third is what the "coolant" manufacturers will tell you before getting to the point of upsetting the carmakers,
Fourthly there is the coolant scientific community ... who dont seem to give a toss who they upset when quoting facts and figures ... Coz they are always right ...
And lastly there is all those unchallangeable private websites with all their right AND wrong info.

I like to jumble it all together for a balanced view ....

Last edited by carvesdodo; 03-03-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2011
i am the CIG

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJeepers View Post
And this is just as relevant.... lighten up

Rodge, why the recommend minimum 44% mix? A lot a fellas are recommending and running 33% ratio for our hotter climate. A lot of engines, consisting of the same materials and marketed to Australia are running 33% and don't have any shorter life span because of it.
yes that is relevant in regards to % of coolant mix but as i said what the ****** has a rego plate got to do with cooling problems unless it blocks air flow
that post is just bull before giving me the toilet have a look at post # and join dates of people it
usually means something we have had a couple of realy cluee people leave becuase of the of topic crap that gets dumped in tech threads
by the way i have over 30 years of jeep experience under my belt
and over 35 years fab experience as well

Proud member of the "She'll Be Right" Gang
yes LEZ is my brother
Old 03-03-2011
WELDING RODS FOR STEERING

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 224 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
yes that is relevant in regards to % of coolant mix but as i said what the ****** has a rego plate got to do with cooling problems unless it blocks air flow
Ok, I thought you were having a go directly at me, my bad (still a newbie myself, to all things forum). I think the number plate post was just a miss post though... I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
The ratio numbers have no real reference to the anti-corrosive additives, coz thats measured in teaspoons/tablespoons/whatever .... per litre of mix .... regardless what the mix ratio is.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgebone View Post
as for the 44% figure - that is straight out of the FSM
Got ya. Only reason I asked was not to pick the crap out of it, more that I have just flushed and replaced my coolant (30% Ethlene glycol). I was aware of the 50/50 and I guess it makes sense that the FSM would recommend this as you would top it up with distilled water (you would hope) during the coolant life, therefore watering down the mix

Quote:
i suppose too it should be clarified what is 30% and what is 70% - the water or the coolant? lets make that distinction for those people who may not know (remember, this is an info page).
Good point, as per carves
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
Generally the mix is referred to as eth-gly/water .... so 30/70 is 30% eth-gly.
Old 03-03-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

i am coming to a conclusion from the replys already regarding the coolant and mix thing....ive always bought concentrate coolant and mixed it 50/50 with distilled water. my theory was why pay extra to some coolant company for their overpriced distilled water (or whatever form of water they use). but now after reading the comments about additives and ratios im thinking maybe this is a bad idea especially when it comes to the additives being watered down. i spoze one could just add some extra to the 50/50 but im thinking the cost is going to end up being the same. so why not buy good quality pre-mix with everything already at the correct ratios? ill be looking closely at the pre-mix brands next time i make a parts run. maybe Nulon, Castrol or Prestone have just what the dr ordered....i told you i would turn if i had a good reason!
Old 03-03-2011
WELDING RODS FOR STEERING

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 224 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
i am coming to a conclusion from the replys already regarding the coolant and mix thing....ive always bought concentrate coolant and mixed it 50/50 with distilled water. my theory was why pay extra to some coolant company for their overpriced distilled water (or whatever form of water they use). but now after reading the comments about additives and ratios im thinking maybe this is a bad idea especially when it comes to the additives being watered down. i spoze one could just add some extra to the 50/50 but im thinking the cost is going to end up being the same. so why not buy good quality pre-mix with everything already at the correct ratios? ill be looking closely at the pre-mix brands next time i make a parts run. maybe Nulon, Castrol or Prestone have just what the dr ordered....i told you i would turn if i had a good reason!
Personally I have always used concentrate for the same reason. This time it was the castrol, but I have used tectaloy and others for my other cars without any complaints.