Overland - Is it worth it? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-06-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Overland - Is it worth it?

Is an Overland really worth the extra 10k.
The front camera seems to be pointless, the car has a windscreen, can't you just look out of it? The heated steering wheel can be easily replaced with gloves, Sat nav is optional on lower models. Quadralift is only useful for offroading. Am I missing anything else?
Old 24-06-2012
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I assume your talking about brand new !?
Old 24-06-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is obviously a personal choice. If you were to say I'm buying a Limited CRD with pano roof, quadra-lift and lux group, the Overland is definitely a better option as you get some more extras and the badge for better resale. If you were happy with everything standard on a Limited, the Overland is a waste of money. If you are happy with everything on a Laredo, well you get the picture.

We wanted most of the gear on the Limited and liked items such as Quadra-lift, ACC and vented seats, two which are exclusive to the Overland along with the badge and associated resale over "optioning up" a Limited. So for us it was an easy decision.
Again, personal choice. Just break each "extra" down into what it is worth to you.

If we were not intending to go off road, we would save $20K (forgo a few extras) and get a Territory Titanium.
Old 24-06-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

From a Jeep salesperson's opinion.. It can be. It depends what your needs are.
The Overland has silly things like a heated steering wheel
But if you want all the options a limited has plus
- a sunroof
- 5.7L V8 Hemi
- adaptive cruise control
- blind spot monitoring
- overland badges
- ventilated leather seats
- leather wrapped dash
- nav system
- quadralift suspension as standard (not just for offroad use. It's self leveling for towing purposes as well and a softer ride)
- Quadra-drive 4wd system instead of the quadra-trac 11 Active full time 4wd
To compare an Overland against its Toyota/BMW/Audi etc rivals with the same features, yes it's worth the money because it's a third of the price of anything as good.
But, if those options don't suit your needs, go for a limited.
In saying that, do you mind if I ask why you're comparing the limited with the Overland and why it sounds like you've ruled a Laredo out?
Yes a Laredo is the 'bottom of the range' but it still has so many great features that other 'bottom of the range' cars don't come with. A lot of customers i speak with like the price of the Laredos but the only reason why theyd want a limited is for the leather. Easy fix. I dont know about other dealerships, but where i work its an extra $2000 for leather, its installed aftermarket and is an a grade leather which is actually softer than the leather in the limited. If you want a V6 Grand, go for a Laredo, add leather and you're looking at $51,000 drive away or $58,000 for a diesel Laredo with leather. From the outside it's hard to tell the difference and from the inside, an untrained eye can't tell the difference and you don't get the 'dated' wood grain of the limited dash.
My honest 2c.
Old 24-06-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzy View Post
Is an Overland really worth the extra 10k.
The front camera seems to be pointless, the car has a windscreen, can't you just look out of it? The heated steering wheel can be easily replaced with gloves, Sat nav is optional on lower models. Quadralift is only useful for offroading. Am I missing anything else?
As others have already said it depends on ho wmuch you want those things and how you personally value them. The heated steering wheel seems odd though, it does get cold here in winter if the car sits out and I hate gloves but...

On a more serious note the quadralift is handy for towing but great for offroading. Which ties in the front camera, when you are creeping up to a rock ledge uphill and can't see over the bonnet the front camera would be great. Mind you there are cheaper ways to get reversing and front cameras and sat nav but nothing beats the factory integration for styling.
Old 24-06-2012
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Options are irrelevant at resale time. It makes far more sense to either option up the Laredo and still be in front money wise or buy the Overland and get extras the Limited can't have. Nobody buying a Limited from you in afew years will care about the extra fruit, 95% are sold as town cars.
Old 25-06-2012
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Army Barbie, a very honest and practical 2C worth.
Of course for those who are looking for a "touring" and tow vehicle, a stock Laredo can have suspension, fuel tank etc etc added to it without much drama.

Personally a set of custom lambswool seat covers are a better and more comfortable option than leather, and at around $600 far cheaper than leather, but that personal preference may not suit everyone.