Tonys Cherokees thread - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-04-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

swapped out the Power steering fluid with Penrite Premium Power Steering fluid, had it around for a while, but this XJ has a whining PS pump.

Not sure how much is in the system??, but I syringed out 300ml at a time from the resevoir, did that till used the 1litre bottle.

If there is say 600ml total in the pump & resevoir, than it now be ~90% pure

Whine has greatly diminuished, only at full lock now.

probably hasnt been changed since it left factory

also changed out front & rear diff oil, used LS90 on both.

fixed a exhaust leak from where it is welded with "metal mend" 2 part stuff, I have repaired exhaust leaks before, so long as thorough cleaning is undertaken
Old 15-04-2019
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Good job on the power steering pump. I might try a bit of that Penrite myself.
I have a small whine in my pump. Thought it was normal and gives the Jeep a bit of character. They all whine about something..
Old 16-04-2019
Full Flexer

the Penrite stuff meets OEM specs

a lot of guys reckon ATF will quiet them

but ATF is designed to cope with 2-300psi

1000psi+ in power steer system

apparently full lock whine is normal due to valving

it seems to be pretty well quiet apart from that, whined like a bitch b4

there is a slight squeek, which I think is an idler pulley, have a new spare, as well as a belt

I wasnt sure if the PS whine was masking a trans whine in 1st and 2nd, now I will be able to listen up for that
Old 11-06-2019
Full Flexer

I have the fake wood bezel ready to swap, but first to find out why no rear speakers

PO has bodgy the aftermarket JVC radio wiring !

the tape was coming of his bare wire solders

* write down all plug to wire colors

*download JVC manual, write down wire colors

*check Jeep FSMs, find out that a '95 6 speaker circuit diagrams is correct
for my 4 speaker '96..write down Jeep wire colors

now I see PO hasnt gone to so much trouble, as 3 of 4 speaker wires are reversed in polarity !

this is despite matching stripes on the plugs..is the FSM wrong ?

trust myself, and solder up & heatshrink

plug it in...all 4 speakers now work, and is it my imagination, but do they sound better with correct polarity

I would not like to have been paying someone else to do this, as each "phase" took me about 1hr

I have no idea why the input wires to the Jeep radio connector needed to be crossed with the JVC output colors, I though there would be a universal pattern

ie grey to grey and grey+white to grey+white...that is how the PO had connected them...as you would...but no, they needed to be crossed..very confusing

the reason the 2 rear speakers were not working, was a failed solder joint at the front, and one rear speaker had a loose terminal

Last edited by awg; 11-06-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2019
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Rock & Roll .. awg .. "You Got the Music Happening!"
Love your Thread us 96er's have to stick together
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 26-06-2019
Full Flexer

cut out the front windscreen to deal with a leaky seal & inspect for rust..surface rust only, but attended it well, repainted with PW1 Stonewhite, new seal on glass, my mate urethaned it in for $60, OEM seal was $85 including postage

repaint wiper arms, new blades

new 2.5" Ebay Cat convertor for $105, mine was rattling
welded in for $75

2 X O2 sensors for $50...the rear one is cut and throws an OBD code..I worked the old one loose, and will fit the rear O2 sensor and clear the codes

will add some pics later
Old 27-06-2019
Full Flexer

Windscreen cut out with guitar wire, and the entire pinchweld cleaned up, repainted, new seal.

New Cat, O2 sensor fitted, and P0138 finally cleared. No codes

I obtained via Ebay from China for $44 a front and rear O2 sensor pair, arrived in 7 days, these are the same ones that sell for much more in Oz. The front and rear have a slightly different clocking of the plug locating tabs
Post New Thread  Reply