Towing with GC Trailhawk Diesel - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-09-2021
I just registered

Default Towing with GC Trailhawk Diesel

Howdy all,

Has anyone had any experience towing with a GC Trailhawk 3.0TD?
I've got the air suspension and want to know how it went, using different height settings for hitching up, how it towed etc.
my caravan is a 20'6 dual axle with an ATM of 3T, fully loaded were at about 2.7T

I'm towing with it for the first time next week.

Thanks to all in advance

Denis
Old 18-09-2021
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey Denis, yes is the short answer! We are currently 4 months into a few years towing a 21ft 3t van with a 2017 trailhawk.

I use the Anderson WDH for towing since the ball weight is about 310kg. To set up the WDH, I first set it to sport mode (as I tow in sport mode mostly for the aero height), then select Jack Mode from the suspension settings, measure the front tyre to guard height and then hook up the van. Now measure the front tyre to guard height again and then hook up the WDH and adjust to drop the front approx half the way back down. That's your starting point for the WDH setting. Now turn off Jack Mode and let the suspension level itself back out. Mines pretty much still set to that same spot.

As for hitching: If the van hitch is way higher than the tow ball then I reverse up to it then set it up higher to OR2 so I don't have to wind as much, or drop it to entry hight if it's really low. Likewise when I reverse the van into place I check the front to rear level and if the front needs to be heaps higher I set the car to OR2 before lowering the Jockey wheel, or exit mode if it's too high.

The only one time I had an issue was when I hooked up the WDH while still at OR2 and for some reason it didn't and wouldn't lower. However I only noticed once out on a 100kmh stretch (about 2 min after leaving) that it had not and would not go down. I had to shut off the ignition and restart the engine at the next intersection and it all came good (was no where to pull over before that).

I am about to pick up a Bos jockey wheel that is rated to 1800kg winding weight as I have destroyed the standard Alko jockey wheel thread which are only rated to 400kg. To connect the WDH I normally drop the van onto the towball and latch it, then wind back up about 2 or 3 inches then very easily connect the WDH, but that lifting the van and back of car has killed the thread of the Alko unit.

Hope that helps, shout out if any questions or follow our trip on FB https://www.facebook.com/AndAroundWeGo/

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 18-09-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 18-09-2021
I just registered

Fantastic SeaComms, thank you very much for the reply very informative. Your set up looks amazing.
In your experience is a WDH a must?
After you are hooked up and say for example in OR2 the GC should lower automatically once hitting a certain speed? or do you manually lower the suspension prior leaving?
Sorry for being a pain but I don't want to mess things up with the air suspension, I'm used to towing with a Navara ute...
Old 18-09-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

WDH’s -

https://thegreynomads.activeboard.co...ibution-hitch/
Old 18-09-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Looks a Bloody nice neat setup SeaComms, Im jealous already,
That 2nd photo does well at showing how the Jeep and Van compliment each other, very nice
Old 19-09-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have a Laredo with the air suspension, it's great for towing.
No need to do anything, hook up and go.
You can fiddle around with the settings, but Inc you are on the road, the suspension sorts itself.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Old 19-09-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 835 Times in 468 Posts

Make yourself aware of potential failures with the air suspension.ie rear airbags,fittings can leak compressor fails etc.Very few workshops have any idea of whats needed or how to repair. Some Mercedes guys do.Arnotts in US have probably the best aftermarket Quadralift gear,plus RMT also in US. My 2012 GC Overland has not had any problems ,yet ! Just remember if an airbag does deflate you will not be able to drive it .

Last edited by bjm; 19-09-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply