Code p0420 cat efficency - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-12-2017
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Maybe I just didn't manage to get them plugged in well enough, despite making sure they connectors 'clicked' in, (and that broken one had the zip tie back around it). Maybe it was just a bit of crud in one of the connectors.

No codes have returned since I swapped the sensors over.

The only issue I have now is how much louder it is since putting on the new headers! It was ok with the OEM headers & Y pipe, but I suspect the new cats let the pulses through better. Might have to look into adding an extra resonator or the like in. It's almost silent at idle or when on a trailing throttle, but quite loud when uphill under power or slowing down on overrun. And has what sounds like an irritating metallic rattle at certing revs, which is just the way the pulses mix with the equal length header tubes, as there really isn't anything lose or leaing now.

Last edited by Banshee; 22-12-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2018
SwampDigger

Aaaand the codes are back. Both 420 & 430 this time. Only came up after a run along the motorway, though.

Have to start looking at sensors again. Might try swapping them around again & see if anything changes.

On the plus side, I finally figured out that the metallic rattle sound I got at certain revs when the engine was cold was from the heat shield. A little bending & it's now gone completely.

Last edited by Banshee; 10-02-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2018
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Aaaand the codes are back. Both 420 & 430 this time. Only came up after a run along the motorway, though.

Have to start looking at sensors again. Might try swapping them around again & see if anything changes.

On the plus side, I finally figured out that the metallic rattle sound I got at certain revs when the engine was cold was from the heat shield. A little bending & it's now gone completely.
get some sensor spacers on the rear cat sensors
Old 10-02-2018
SwampDigger

Sensor spacers?

What are they, and where from, please?
Old 10-02-2018
I just registered

Quote:
Sensor spacers?

What are they, and where from, please?
They screw into the o2 plug and then you screw the O2 sensor into it. Basically the rear cat sensors tell the ecu whether there is enough difference in the resistance on the sensors compared to the forward sensors reading for cat performance to be considered normal. The spacer effectively ensures the resistance on the rear sensor is always different enough and therefore you will not get the cat degraded performance codes.

Exhaust shops often put them on new performance exhausts because the cats are doing sfa and there is no effective resistance difference between the front and rear sensors.

Obviously if you suspect the cat is breaking down and at risk of blocking up its not a solution but you are not in this situation.

Any dodgy looking low key exhaust shop will have them look at one that advertises commodore performance exhausts. Or amazon, probably eBay too. I think there are two main varieties and you need the 18mm variety (but you best measure the sensors fittings to be sure)

here's a link so you get the idea
http://a.co/0KJqSRa
I don't know if these particular ones work well as I got mine from an exhaust shop.

IDK how they would effect your roadworthy check up in nsw either they may not like them.

You'll likely also need to clear your fault codes the first times after fitment

Last edited by OzRick25; 10-02-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2018
SwampDigger

Thanks.

I bit more reading tells me that the code is only set when the system is running in closed loop mode. Seems to indicate that 99% of the time I'm in open loop driving locally & only get into closed loop when on the freeway...
Old 13-02-2018
I just registered

Quote:
Thanks.

I bit more reading tells me that the code is only set when the system is running in closed loop mode. Seems to indicate that 99% of the time I'm in open loop driving locally & only get into closed loop when on the freeway...
Idd doubt that. I'm no expert but if your driving in aus conditions for more than 10 mins you should definitely be going to closed loop.

If your not maybe your ect sensor needs changing. Im also not of the opinion that you would get these codes at all in open loop mode because the pcm doesn't really consider cat O2 sensor inputs in open loop.

I would try the spacers on the downstream sensors. If they don't work I would say your upstream sensors are not reaching the correct temperature so it might be worth contacting RIPP to find out what sensors they recommend.

Last edited by OzRick25; 13-02-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Meant to write sensors
Post New Thread  Reply