Manual transmission fluid? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-08-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission fluid?

OK, so my gearbox seems to be crunching nearly every time I change down to second and has been very temperamental when cold.

So I did a bit of a search and went and spent $160 on some Redline MT-90, as fas as I could figure, most people swear by it.

So I get underneath ready to pull out the fill and drain plugs and I discover that I'm not sure which one exactly is the fill plug.

I looked at this guide: http://www.4x4xplor.com/trannyservice.html

But it seems I have a allen key bolt for the drain plug and can't find exactly where the fill plug is... I'm not crystal on whether I have the AX-15 or the NV3550 transmission either, is it still ok to use the mt-90?

Can somebody please just clarify this for me?

It's a 2001 Renegade
Old 31-08-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts

According to this - you have the NV3550 (if its a five speed?)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...ations-452871/

Mt90 should be fine for it from what ive read as well. I have the nv3550 and had royal purple in it, now a castrol fully synthetic 75w90 that i found at supercheap... really like the shifts now - same if not better than the royal purple. It was $32 / litre so $60 total. I have read another option to the MT90 is Mobil 1 75w90. But i couldnt find hence went with the castrol.

Taken from a US Clutch replacement write-up, but with the ax-15:

"Don't refill the trans with the fluid recommended in the '97 owner's manual. DaimlerChrysler found out about a year after this was released that something in that compound caused pitting and premature failure in the synchros. An excerpt from another forum to back this up: "The 5 speed tranny uses brass synchros and the Owner's Manual says to use GL-5 gear lube. GL-5 has a sulfur base and will eat the brass." An alternative, Redline MT90 is recommended. We did a little research and learned that Mobil 1 75W-90 is equivalent to Redline MT-90, costs about the same and was the best stuff for the trans that was rated for this duty. Service manual calls for 3.3 liters. We used 4 because with the lube pump we used you can't drain the bottles completely anyway. It took 4 full bottles to get 3.3 in the trans. The remainder in each was consolidated into a single bottle and saved for next time we service our diffs. (NOTE: you need this pump - there is no room for a funnel or even to get the bottles up in tight clearance and you have to pump and pump and pump to fill the trans. A very tedious process when you're so close to finished.) "

The fill plug is on the side of the transmission. Note always make sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain the transmission - otherwise you will be stuck with a jeep with no transmission oil and hence undriveable.

Cheers, Will
Old 06-09-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you've got a 6 speed get "Penrite Sin Manual Trans" It conforms to mopar standard MS9224. I've been using it for nearly 100 000
(yes I have changed it in that time) and my gearbox is still sweet as. Picked it up at my local supply for $50 or so. These guys get it in for me in the same week only problem is you have to order it. Just some food for thought.
Old 07-09-2011
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDougbus View Post
If you've got a 6 speed get "Penrite Sin Manual Trans" It conforms to mopar standard MS9224. I've been using it for nearly 100 000
(yes I have changed it in that time) and my gearbox is still sweet as. Picked it up at my local supply for $50 or so. These guys get it in for me in the same week only problem is you have to order it. Just some food for thought.
you can buy the genuine Mopar manual transmission fluid part number 04874464 to MS9224 for both five and six speed transmissions for about $35 a litre from the dealer or on line from moparwholesale for about $12, but dont know what the delivery costs are
Old 07-09-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
you can buy the genuine Mopar manual transmission fluid part number 04874464 to MS9224 for both five and six speed transmissions for about $35 a litre from the dealer or on line from moparwholesale for about $12, but dont know what the delivery costs are
Unless you live in darwin. $53 a Quart.

I found that the Penrite stuff that the dougbus mentioned made my 5 speed crunch much worse. I went back to the Mopar stuff and is all sweet now, no crunches at all.

TJ Dave

Semper scandere. Frater, an attollere?
Post New Thread  Reply