Rather urgent RHD water pump advice please! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rather urgent RHD water pump advice please!

G’day - forgive brevity of this appeal but I’ve spent all day wrestling with the water pump swap on my ‘96 XJ and it’s now dark here in London and I’m flummoxed.

1. As I’ve already installed a new radiator and separate transmission cooler and generally tidied up previous under hood bodges I was not best pleased to find a weep from the heater outlet on the water pump when I started to the XJ - the only thing I hadn’t touched was the water pump ….. grrrr!

2. Didn’t want to remove the rad and associated plumbing again so I’m trying to do this with rad in place - shroud and electric fan etc removed of course. I thought I could simply remove the clutch fan for more room but once the 4 nuts removed it doesn’t budge - do RHD XJs have a different fitment so the clutch/ fan unit doesn’t simply pull off ? If I can post a photo I have and I don’t see how it detaches?

3. Next issue is how do I get the new pump back without having to squeeze/shove it back into place. This’ll no doubt mean me cocking up the gasket or cross threading so I want the space but don’t know how to safely move the bracket that holds the PS pump (& A/C condenser?).

This is probably a really simple job but I don’t want to screw it up and get a real mechanic out to fix my cock up (at massive expense - I’m in London) and I don’t have access to a FSM.

P.s. all the YouTube vids are US models so useless for me so Oz Jeepers are my only hope.
Old 02-08-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

I have done the job on a WG I6 and the pump is similar but the fan is instead LH threaded to the water pump. I suspect your fan has been forced onto an oversized pump shaft spigot, get a bigger screwdriver. To get the fan out requires the radiator shroud to be pulled out at the same time on the WG so I would imagine it will require it to be removed as well on your model.
Old 03-08-2023
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Appreciate the reply Classic Boy - you probably realised but both photos needs to be titled 90 degrees to the right to give the correct orientation. I can't edit the photo but all the service manuals I've found suggest the 'disc' immediately below the mounting studs should separate from the pulley but gentle prodding suggests it's locked on - maybe with rust. Or, as you seem to indicate it's been jammed on ?

Is it safe to place a long piece of metal - say a socket extension - on the 'disk' closest to the four studs and give it a good bash with a BFH to loosen any rust which might be sealing it to the pulley? I've given it a soaking of penetrating oil overnight too. Or do i risk damaging the pulley bearing?

BTW the fan itself detached easily from the fan clutch unit - I just cant get the fan clutch unit away from the pulley if that makes sense. The plastic shroud is off.

In short:

1.should the fan clutch (and fan) detach from the pulley as all the manuals indicate i.e. there's nothing special about our RHD 4.0s with A/C?
2. Does the bracket holding the PS detach with the removal of the 3 bolts I can see? I need to have some wriggle room to get the new water fitted?

Sorry for more Qs but i dont want to damage anything!

Cheers,
Old 03-08-2023
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,566 Times in 4,349 Posts

Next time at least tell us what engine it is!
Doesnt look like a diesel XJ!
Old 03-08-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,271 Times in 733 Posts

Rather than trying to pry it off....I suggest a pulley remover....no damage can be caused that way...prying at it can create bigger problems....try a hire place if you dont want make one yourself or buy one..

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 06-08-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

i have done this job several times on my 3 x 96xjs and I just cant remember anything difficult about it, the pumps are cheap as dirt

Maybe I had the radiator out of the way on one of them

I cant recall what I did on mine, but the VC should come apart without drama

I have several sitting there and will have a look at my vehicle. The VC is mounted on an entirely separate pulley/bearing assembly than the WP on my vehicles...is that the same on yours ?

The power steering pump should be free by loosening off the 3 long bolts

The only thing I recall as tricky is making sure the old metal pipe is transferred accurately to the new WP body and sealed (i used thread tape)

post some more pics may be helpful

Like I said, I cant remember this job having any problems, I just take out the minimum number of parts that will allow me to clear, and the thermostat and housing is to be considered for a change while you are in there

The FSM is not very enlightening
Post New Thread  Reply