NV3550 trans rebuild kit - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-09-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default NV3550 trans rebuild kit

Hi
My 2000 2.5 TD XJ has an NV3550 trans. I have another trans spare which I want to get rebuilt & then swap in. Rebuild kit pricing varies a fair bit (Mopar, Crown) and there seems to be a Getrag kit that might be right, but I'm struggling to work out if it fits... The (US) places selling them have no idea (mainly cos of the XJ TDs not being a US listed vehicle).

There's a rebuild kit (bearings, syncros, seals) and also a 'small parts kit'.

* Mopar rebuild kit # R0035503AA, $348 - www.factorymoparparts.com/r0035503aa.html

* Crown rebuilt kit # BKNV3500, $265 - http://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Beari...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

* Crown rebuild+small parts kit from Quadratec, $499 - www.quadratec.com/products/52170_0111.htm

* Gertrag rebuild kit # BK235FWS, $215 - http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...cts_id=5005016

* Getrag small parts kit, # 404001A, $21 -
http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...cts_id=5005031

Does anyone know if the Getrag kit matches please? Searched so hard, but getting no further....
Old 15-09-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I Think you will struggle for info here as our Aussie XJ's didn't come with the NV3550. Only AW4 behind the 4.0L and AX15 in the TD. They may be in TJ's but not sure, and no diesel in TJ's either .

Last edited by Big Dave; 15-09-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 15-09-2014
Senior Newbie

...damn.
(Yes, NV3550 used in2.5TD TJ 2002-2004 (your TJ comment noted) and 2.8CRD KJ 2000-2006 or something like that. Should I repost in those boards here?
Old 15-09-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

the NV3550 is used in TJ Wrangler and XJ from 2000, which replaced the AX15
as long as the rebuild kit is for the NV3550 the kit would fit.

if the NV3550 in a TJ was different to a NV3550 in an XJ it wouldn't be called a NV3350

the same as the AX15 any rebuild for the AX15 will fit an AX15

the * Gertrag rebuild kit # BK235FWS, $215 - http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...cts_id=5005016
states 2000-up

you would be pretty safe with getting this kit
Old 26-11-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are the part numbers for the kits quoted in the OP the same kits for Aus NV3550? My 2nd gear syncos are gone in my 02 wrangler, looking to put a kit through it.
Old 26-11-2014
Senior Newbie

The kit numbers apply irrespective of country... but not irrespective of vehicle or year. So not every 'NV3550 rebuild kit' fits every NV3550 in a specific year (e.g. there are 2 kits listed for year 2000). Variations are:
* Synced or non-synced reverse
* 30mm or 33mm OD (outside diameter) cluster journal bearings
* 1-part or 3-part syncos for 1st+2nd gears.

Note that the 'rebuild kits' include the 'small parts kit' so no need to order that in addition.

Kits made by Mopar, by Crown and by Getrag. Crown and Mopar kits are more likely to fit, since made specifically for Jeeps (although not for the TD) but Getrag is by far the cheapest. Cheapest supplier of Getrag kits I found was Cobratransmission.com, but AmericanPowerTrainWarehouse.com knew more and advised correctly.

Since previous post, I ordered correct kit for my mid-2000-built XJ 2.5TD (kit BK235FWS) and had the box rebuilt and about to fit (Mudmonster, you were correct....)

Getrag rebuild kit numbers & fitment:

BK235B, 98 & up, Non Synchronized Reverse
BK235C, 97 & up, synced Reverse (1997-Up) (Cluster Journals 30mm OD
BK235E, 00 & up, synced Reverse (2000-Up) (Cluster Journals 33mm OD)
BK235DWS 98 & up, Non synced Reverse (3 piece 1-2 Synchro, 30mm OD)
BK235CWS, 94 & up, synced Reverse (1 piece 1-2 Synchro, 30mm OD)
BK235GWS, 97 & up, synced Reverse (3 piece 1-2 Synchro, 30mm OD)
BK235FWS, 00 & up, synced Reverse, 3 piece 1-2 Synchro, 33mm OD)

Apologies if teaching grandmother eggs etc... I just went round the loop a bit on this to avoid paying Crown/Mopar parts. My advice is email AmericanPowerTrainWareHouse with your model/VIN.
Old 27-11-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheers for the info. I gotta work out when i get mine done, im thinking im jst going to put up with it till after christmas now. I can skip 2nd gear for a little bit till then
Post New Thread  Reply