New Grand CherokeeWK-75 - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-02-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXPLOR View Post
I too have been hanging out for this with all the hype and leaked pics over the years building excitement and then the price and spec sheet lands.
The beauty of the current gen WK2 and the WK WH WJ etc before was you could buy a base model and option a diesel, a hemi (WH) offroad adventure 2, quadra lift etc etc and build a decent multi purpose vehicle for decent money, not cheap but not absurd money either.
Fast forward to WL, We get a 10 year old petrol engine, no low range (sure there is some electronic wizardy there though), leather and a bunch of other stuff we don't really need but consumers apparently need in 7 seat format for what will be nudging 90k on road.
Based on US pricing the entry level night eagle 5 seater should land around the 70k mark for a pentastar V6.
Waiting for the cool sounding hybrid well the pric

e difference between the wrangler sahara petrol and 4Xe is about 13k USD which equates to 18kish AUD.
So base nighteagle 4XE 90k plus assuming they offer it in the base model. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be in Summit or summit reserve top spec only.

I have been a long time Jeep owner from WJ to WH to WK2 but unless there is some form of wake up call at Jeep HQ will not be a WL owner at that price point, I would rather buy a BMW, Audi or Merc at that price point for an urban show pony they have been playing the luxury car game for far longer and are very good at it.

At the very least Prado sales will go up another 15% or so which is a shame as the WK2 is a great product
exactly how i feel . Love my wk2, love the car, hate the after sales service and parts availability and now where the model is going.

Prado is unfortunately looking like the next best thing *toyota* *vomit*
Old 18-02-2022
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
exactly how i feel . Love my wk2, love the car, hate the after sales service and parts availability and now where the model is going.

Prado is unfortunately looking like the next best thing *toyota* *vomit*
I'd look at everything rather than join the Tojo mob! Descending from sheer class to sheer boring is a miserable prospect...
Old 18-02-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy2001 View Post
Yep no diesel will kill most of the JGC sales anyway.

Will provide Ford a nice boost in sales when their new Everest arrives
"Most' is a big call. No diesel will take it off the list for many tourers/towers, which is the bulk of members on these forums, but you've got to remember that there's a lot of buyers who don't want/need a diesel. A quick look at the diesel/petrol split on vehicles for sale on Carsales (about 10% more petrols for sale) is evidence of that.

The new Everest certainly looks like it could be a good thing, as long as it doesn't drive like the current one...

Old 18-02-2022
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If we are to apply all the abovementioned parameters to make assumptions, it would result in around 38% of combined Aussie GC buyers looking elsewhere.

If there really are 10% more GC petrol sales than diesel in AU, there are still 900 diesels for every 1000 petrols. Then assume that a factor of 80% may be defined as a majority, they'd lose 720 diesel sales in every 900, i.e. 80% of diesel sales = 38% of total sales. But, as I speculated earlier, I'm sure Jeep is basing their strategy on their enormously larger domestic market where petrol has always is been king, and if you tow you buy a truck.

Last edited by SouthernComfort; 18-02-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 19-02-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
If we are to apply all the abovementioned parameters to make assumptions, it would result in around 38% of combined Aussie GC buyers looking elsewhere.

If there really are 10% more GC petrol sales than diesel in AU, there are still 900 diesels for every 1000 petrols. Then assume that a factor of 80% may be defined as a majority, they'd lose 720 diesel sales in every 900, i.e. 80% of diesel sales = 38% of total sales. But, as I speculated earlier, I'm sure Jeep is basing their strategy on their enormously larger domestic market where petrol has always is been king, and if you tow you buy a truck.
Yeah no doubt, looking bigger picture, the needs/wants of the Aus market are really not a huge consideration. Lost sales will be offset by possible newfound appeal in a different market segment, but it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. Particularly in relation to the the two-row, which is ultimately the 'true' successor.

Old 12-04-2022
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCheese View Post
They have changed the name of sorts, as it's a Grand Cherokee L. But in saying that, I just had a look at the US site and it's only Trailhawk, Overland, Summit, and Summit Reserve that have a dual speed transfer case - disappointing.

The Hemi isn't coming, and the 4xe Trailhawk WL74 has been all but confirmed I believe. I imagine the Hurricane straight 6 will definitely come here as well, and will fill the void left by the diesel and hemi - maybe a more hi-po version could even power a SRT. Remains to be seen when that will be - maybe late 23 if we're lucky.
No hemi option again, that's me out. I've been hanging for the hemi to return as an option here but nooooo.

As for the hurricane they can keep that european catastrphied idea as well. I shudder at the thought of the repair bills for that.

Looks like back the 2nd hand market for one more wk after that take up alcoholism while trying to decide what's next.

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk
Old 13-04-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Mate with a 2012 JGC which has got to the dizzy 250K km and tows a van has decided on a new Everest since Jeep has left the towing building, I await his views on it when he gets it, being a spanner man himself it will be interesting to see his comparison, he liked his Jeeps....... Sons Ranger is doing well but then it does work, no city shuffling around, tows well but having driven it myself I find after the Grands 8HP70 box anything else is a second rate clunky affair.... chews the fuel towing as well.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply