Big end bearings on WK2 2015 Laredo diesel - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-10-2022
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 349 Times in 182 Posts

ive been doing alot of reading on various sites about the VM eco diesel engines
where the engine has failed.
Some things ive ascertained are- A number of these blown motors that have been listed by owners as blown bearings have failed due to coolant system failure ( hose leaks etc) and run until cooked.
- Another number with blown motors have mentioned that prior to their engine blowing they noticed their oil levels started to rise over time and the oil quality gauge started to get shorter each oil change until it was at 0% after 3-4k.
This appears due to oil dilution where diesel bleeds into the sump oil, usually caused by bad injectors and or the engine only being run short distances not getting to operating temp.
All diesels have this dilution of oil but when run on long drives up to operating temp the fuel distillates and most is evaporated leaving the oil intact.
If this dilution happens and achieves anything over 4% in the oil, the diluted oil
will chew the crank bearings out.
My guess is some of these motors have had some bearing damage already and when put under load, especially if wrong oils etc it just compounds the issue.
So if you just do short trips to the shops etc, change your oil every 5k or take it for a decent run every week or buy a petrol version!!

Last edited by genpk; 17-10-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 18-10-2022
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

As a very general rule if it was a bigend the prevalence of the noise would be reversed. Cold start while building oil pressure would knock like a son of a bit** then go quite. Yours is going the other way. My money is an injector issue, spray pattern. Won't trough a code. Or valve clearance tightened up causing one cylinder to fire odd.

Just to scare you a little more they are also known to break cranks, but statically you would have to be very unlucky to have that issue. But it will start out as a hard to diagnose knock.

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk
Old 18-10-2022
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Diesels are rattly things, mine with the engine cover not fitted rattles and whines away........... these are supposed to have noisy injectors, they have cam chains but if one of those needs adjustment you will certainly know about it and its not an odd rattle......
My check list would be;

Start with AC turned off (should be off at start anyway), once lights all go off its ready to move off so check while in P, then N then D for rattle .........
back in Park turn on AC, then lights and other loads for alternator and listen...

Next drive when things are all warmed up go thru it all again and see if the sounds have changed.

Pull stupid engine cover off have a look for any sooty marks, use a good torch for nooks and crannies, hard engine to look around but any sort of manifold leak will tick and can close up when hot.... not enough to throw codes.......

Find another Jeep of similar vintage and have a listen...

Diesels tick away, rattle like anything, my old Colorado engine, another VM diesel sounded like an old tractor..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 18-10-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 837 Times in 469 Posts

As I have previously said I would take a sample of the oil from the motor and send away for analising It will tell you everything from bearing metals , other metals to hydrocarbons ie diesel in the oil etc. Plus can you post a video of the sound .

Last edited by bjm; 18-10-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 18-10-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,138 Times in 602 Posts

Hate to say it...but a big end knock in the VM sounds much like a noisy tappet high in the engine.
Mine did it recently after taking some water through the inlet. It was running fine but was making a noise that we all thought at the time was tappet noise, until i checked the oil pressure and it was at zero which then indicated to me potentially a spun bearing.

After speaking to Anthony at 7 Slot he confirmed that a crook big end bearing in the VM sounds too high in the engine to be a big end...but it is, it is almost a tinny sound...it may be something to do with the block construction who knows.

The usual bearing to fail in these engines are the main bearings, which i think was why Chrysler put out an urgent bulletin to up the oil from 5w 30 to 5w 40...but it doesn't mean a big end won't fail.

Mine had done 195,000 kms and was running fine with oil and filter changes every 90 days regardless...right up until it had the dunking...
Old 18-10-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
Hate to say it...but a big end knock in the VM sounds much like a noisy tappet high in the engine.
Mine did it recently after taking some water through the inlet. It was running fine but was making a noise that we all thought at the time was tappet noise, until i checked the oil pressure and it was at zero which then indicated to me potentially a spun bearing.

After speaking to Anthony at 7 Slot he confirmed that a crook big end bearing in the VM sounds too high in the engine to be a big end...but it is, it is almost a tinny sound...it may be something to do with the block construction who knows.

The usual bearing to fail in these engines are the main bearings, which i think was why Chrysler put out an urgent bulletin to up the oil from 5w 30 to 5w 40...but it doesn't mean a big end won't fail.

Mine had done 195,000 kms and was running fine with oil and filter changes every 90 days regardless...right up until it had the dunking...

Thats interesting, scary thought that it could sound like noisy tappet/lifter, very scary indeed..... who would have thought................. Now all and sundry will be packing it about bearings going........... then these diesels all sound like they are about to drop the big end........

I much prefer the knock, knock who's there.

Mind you a gutful of water doesn't do anything much good.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 18-10-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,312 Times in 754 Posts

Jeeper6...also read that and saw it on a UTUBE Vid...big end bearing sounds like a tappet noise...REALLY dont like that idea...so will continue to ignore the rattle clinks tinks sometimes ridiculous oddities mine throughs up..know Im up for a tranny but Im off caravaning this weekend...if it shytes itself then Xmas will be a l'il early in my household and 25th Dec will be hand made paper mache dolls n flowers from the garden...all given with love...of course..
Pretty sure no brand/breed/spec/variety/induction type internal combustion anything goes 'ok' after a swim...no need for me to tell ya that one !!!...back to the ostrich stance this end

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Post New Thread  Reply