Diff rebuild or Second Handy - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Gosh, it looks like you are facing the same issue as I do. I have to take out my front differential as well.
Wanted to do a simple oil and gasket change, took off the cover, just to find out that it had a leak and started to rust on the differential, the bearings.

The entire weekend I was shifting between taking it out or just remove the visible rust and let it be, but then decided in the end to take it out. I could see some rust inside the case as well as dirt at the axle shaft and I am worried that I am pushing it into the differential once I put the axle back.

I watched some youtube videos and some poster did use a pry bar but did not really look appealing to me. i also did not want to damage anything so I decided to get a slide hammer to get it out.

I am hoping to get away with heating up the case and put the differential over night into the fridge and then just use physics and some magic to get it back in.
Old 10-06-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hmmmm. I have a fridge/freezer in the garage. Not a bad idea. I'm sure the wife won't object if I use it for a weekend.
Old 10-06-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

You will have to give it a few.love taps to get it back in, not too hard of a job though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 11-06-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

One question though: is it better to disconnect the drive shaft or does this not really matter?

The threads from the carrier and the drive shaft have to match back together and i realized it might be better if the drive shaft is disconnected since it moves easier though sliding in might be easier as well.
Old 11-06-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Yep driveshaft needs to come out, it's a 10 minute job, otherwise you can't crack the pinion nut. Put the biggest pipe wrench you can find around the pinion flange to hold it while you crack the nut.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 11-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergM View Post
One question though: is it better to disconnect the drive shaft or does this not really matter?

The threads from the carrier and the drive shaft have to match back together and i realized it might be better if the drive shaft is disconnected since it moves easier though sliding in might be easier as well.

Disconnect it, before you do so mark it’s alignment with a paint pen by putting a line from one bolt, across the two halves of the yoke to make it easier to put it back together the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Good point Doug. I realized that the differential is very sensitive in terms of alignment and putting things back exactly the way it supposed to be.