KJ on sand - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-10-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
Have you got an auto or manual gearbox? Assuming it's an auto (the majority are!) then you won't have any problems - if it's a manual (the Connoisseur's choice!) then remember to select the right gear before you hit the soft stuff and keep your left foot well away from the clutch pedal until you reach the hard stuff again. I've seen more guys bogged because they tried to change gear in the wrong place than I care to think about.
That is real good advice there! - and very true, keep the revs up and you'll be right..

Agreed with the lift and the bigger tyres also (for sand taller is usually better than wider as you have a longer footprint - within reason anyways).

will keep you posted

-mick
Old 20-10-2011

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Banter,
I live up in Denham and use my CRD consistantly in very soft sand. I have recently put some Kumho KL71 M/T 245/75/16's and these have performed flawlessly in the sand but got very stuck in some mud last weekend (see pics thread).

I drop them down to 20psi and have no trouble at all. The KJ has outperformed my mates V8 Turbo Landcruiser in the same areas.
Old 20-10-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah it's an Auto - so less to think about for a novice like me! I've been on the loose stuff before in a Kluger (which was terrible and got stuck twice) and a 07 Prado which did alright but felt heavy and sluggish. I'm hoping based on the threads my V6 Auto with decent tyres should do the trick nicely!

Who knows i might do less fishing and more exploring..
Old 21-10-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had an 05 Kluger, you see a lot of 'em on the beach and that's where they stay.

I've now got an 03 Redriver (sort of Extreme Sport) 3.7 auto with standard sized Kumho A/T tyres and two inch ARB lift...chews the sand.
Old 22-10-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

@Redrivergaf - you are right about the Klugers! So you happy with the ARB 2" lift? I was thinking the same but there appears to be a number of options out there..
Old 22-10-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Banter, I highly recommend getting a CRDSTU lift, pm him for price etc.
Old 24-10-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Banter (hope this isn't a duplicate post as something odd happened on my PC a few minutes ago and not sure if this is already posted).

I have a 2005 KJ 3.7 V6 auto. Took it to Robe a while ago on stock suspension and the original Goodyear Wrangler SRAs (all terrains). Could have done with a bit more ground clearance so I reckon the lift is a good plan but with lowered pressures and maintaining sensible momentum only got mildly bogged once on the first day. Lowered pressures a bit and drove out. In many places did far better than the heavier trucks I was travelling with. Only needed a snatch once when i got stuck on the crown of a monster dune. I reckon you are going to have a lot of fun.
Post New Thread  Reply