Front Brake Rotors replaced under warranty - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-03-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

XJ almost 300 thousand just need to be done now. Previous Ford ute 280 thousand on original ball joints. Land Drover never did them at all...?
Old 19-03-2006
LOST

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

i had a commodore that needed a new steering rack by 110K

a val that ate tie rod ends
Old 19-03-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As far as I can make out the usual problems with KJ's involve the Brake Rotors (Bad Batch?), Ball Joints (underdesigned - just got to watch them - especially if off-roading a lot), and Turbo to Manifold hose on the CRD (maybe due to oil weakening the pipe - fitting a Provent may aleviate the problem somewhat).

Unbelievable that you've been through 2 water pumps Peter! Now that would piss me off and be grounds enough to quit the KJ.

Incidentally, were your rotors showing the same as mine with the steering wheel shimmy under braking?

The ergonomics on the KJ weren't obviously thought about very well either - who would put the door locks where the window switches should be on the doors? And there are zero storage compartments.....

But, in the small to mid-size 4by market, there's nothing that can be called a serious 4WD that has 4 doors, other than the KJ - the rest are soft roaders. And the CRD stands alone at this point in time.
Old 19-03-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzver
I My wife now after 14 monhts just wants the KJ gone and never to be seen.
She wants it gone because of all the cash you spend on it! It breaking is just a convenient excuse.....

What was the 4 week layup for at 500km's old?
Old 19-03-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I win. I have had three transmissions, two transmission computers, speedo sensor, both front rotors, gear shifter, front head rest, turbo pipe, clutch fan, and thermostat, so far. Oh yes, the power steering hose has gone twice and had to go home in a tow truck. Now I am up to 64k. My Subaru Forester was a more reliable 4wd. It isn't looking good for keeping the KJ after the warranty has run out even though when it is running it is a great car.

Last edited by BahBah; 25-03-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 19-03-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Thumbs down

Well comparing a Jeep at any time with soft roaders says it all I reckon. CJs, XJs, WJs, ZJs, TJ, YJs and many more would never be mentioned on the same page? KJs road in on the back of XJs and thats why Chrysler re-badged it from Liberty to Cherokee. Its never really stood alone even by name. They had better get the next generation right, at least they look serious enough. KJ looks like its giggling or something. Should have badged it a Chrysler Liberty 4*4 and left the Jeep badge off. Every time I see one I just don't believe it. Yep I think its that bad! God help me when that Box of German influenced piece of crap the "Compass" gets here. The day Jeep dies!!!!!
"Oh" and while I'm on the subject: I would like to say somthing about Jeep prams and bloody bikes......on second thoughts I'll get kicked off if I do. I have to go now, I need to kill something....
Old 19-03-2006
Silver Rennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wilmo,

When I picked the KJ up and driving out from the dealer at low speeds I could here a click click noise coming from somewhere under the gear shift. That was on a Friday. On Monday I was back at the dealer for this item and the KJ pulling heavily to the left. They basically told me to piss off. Went home got DC involved that same week the service manager called me up and explained how sorry he was of my troubles and to bring the car back. They pulled the KJ to bits. Noise coming from the transfer case. One of the clogs there was not machined correct and while turning was making the click click noise. New parts had to be sent from the US and Europe. Took almost a month. At the same time while the KJ was sitting at the dealer the water pump started to leak coolant. So that was replaced then and there. At 12000km rotors were changed during the service. A week before this service I noticed a small drop of fluid on the floor. Opened the hood and yep coolant was getting low. So got changed agian.
We traded a Subaru Liberty 2004 model with 19000KM for the KJ and it has not been good Jeeping so far. One thing that I feel DC need to improve is there customer service. Man oh man are they crap compared to Subaru. Well today we made the decision and the KJ will more than likley be traded in at the end of May to mid June. At this stage it is not going to be another 4wd. I'm looking at something compact and small. Something with about 8L/100km. I kind of like the BMW 1 Series 120i.

Last edited by pzver; 19-03-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply