Purchase advice needed! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default Purchase advice needed!

Hi all,

Been a long term jeep fan, and I'm in need of some advice.
I've been running an xj for the last 10 or so years, and its time to upgrade.
Got a few mates recommending a hilux, but i dont even think that would be as capable as the xj off road. The other half are saying patrol, but covid tax on them, plus astronomical fuel use is putting me off.
I want to stay on the jeep brigade, so im looking at wranglers.
I wanted to narrow down what I should be looking at. I got lots of great tips and advice in the xj section over the years, so I figured if any one knows these things well, and the ins and outs, its you guys!

So I am looking for a 4 door hardtop petrol automatic.
Using it for beach work, bush tracks etc. No towing. I mainly use low range and cruise and for maximum power.
Budget is $25k, I know its not much, but its all i can afford atm.
The xj did all this epically, so I cant see why a wrangler wouldnt, if not better.
So here come the questions.

What is the main differences between the various models?
Sport, Unlimited, Rubicon ( out of my price range, i know)
Which ones came with factory lockers? and was it just rear lockers, or front and back?

Any known issues with the petrol motor? Especially one at 200K+?
Whats fuel consumption like? Power is adequate?
Same with the auto transmissions?
The xj motor/gearbox combo i found bulletproof.

Any certain years to look out for? I know with the xjs, there were updates over various years...

And anything to really check thoroughly when buying a second hand one?
Like I know with the xjs, it was drivers side floor pan rust, rear gas struts on tailgate, rust in sills, etc

Ultimately I'd like a minor lift and bigger tyres, so if I could get one with that already done, it would be cheaper.

Any and all advice, plus anything else you guys could give me would be seriously appreciated. Im well versed in the xj's and have learnt them inside out, but a wrangler is a new beast I'm not familiar with.
Also, should I be looking at TJs aswell? Is there major differences?

Was really hoping you guys could give me a good headstart, some good tips, and point me in the right direction.

All advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by oshen; 11-10-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

I have a TJ. I love it. However, based on your requirements I think TJ will be far too small storage wise (quite limited storage).

A four door JK in the best condition, lowest km’s, full service record ect… that you can find in any colour for your $25,000 budget is the way to go. Petrol or diesel no matter, just the best one for the money. If you find one with a few extras added like winch, lift kit ect… all the better.
Old 11-10-2021
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishframe View Post
I have a TJ. I love it. However, based on your requirements I think TJ will be far too small storage wise (quite limited storage).

A four door JK in the best condition, lowest km’s, full service record ect… that you can find in any colour for your $25,000 budget is the way to go. Petrol or diesel no matter, just the best one for the money. If you find one with a few extras added like winch, lift kit ect… all the better.
What he said
Old 11-10-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Had another thought.

In the states they rebuild XJ’s and sell them for upwards of $40,000USD.

You could spend part of your $25k budget, say $15k to $20k, and rebuild your XJ into something better than anything else you could buy.

Motor rebuild, suspension, new carpets, new seats, new wheels, tyres, paint respray, winch, lockers, ect….

https://davisautosports.com/lifted-jeep-cherokee-xj
Old 11-10-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

I would also wait for a bit as used cars currently have a “COVID tax” on them, wait until the new car market returns to normal that should resolve the “COVID tax”
Old 12-10-2021
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I've owned 2 Hiluxes and they were both pieces of shit. I had more trouble with them than any other vehicle I've ever owned. What's worse is they aren't that good a 4WD as people think.

As Fishframe wrote, a JK Wrangler would be your best bet. Even in sport guise it will get you more places, more easily and with a lot more fun than a Hilux ever would.

My only advice would be try and get a 2015 or up. There is nothing wrong with the older 3.8L (I owned one for 5 faultless years) but they are lacking power compared to the 3.6L petrol. The reason I say 2015+ is that the early 3.6L vehicles had a few teething issues.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 12-10-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

This is the headline shopping info that I sent a friend recently to help sift through the cheaper end of the JK pool too:

JK = 2 door
JKU/Unlimited = 4 door
Parts and ads commonly just get labelled with the "JK" series code.

Spec:
Sport = Dana 44 rear diff, smaller Dana 30 front diff, 3.73 diff ratios and 2.72 low range transfer case ratio.
Overland = Same running gear as the Sport but with body coloured fenders and hardtop as well as leather seats.
Rubicon = Dana 44 front & rear diff, 4.10 diff ratios, front & rear E-lockers, 4.10 transfer case and electronically disconnectable swaybar.
The 2007 Sport used 4.10 gears too.
There have been a few non-Rubicon special editions with factory rear lockers or LSDs too but these owners tend to know what they have and price them higher.

Interior:
The 2007-2011 models' interior is very simple with no steering controls and very flat seats.
2012+ seats are a bit better but the rest of the interior is much more modern and generally better quality.
Most 2012+ models have steering wheel controls. It's a major pain to retrofit if it doesn't have them.

Soft tops:
The 2010+ soft tops are better designed and more durable and the 2012+ tops are a slight bit better again.
A lot of people never use their soft top so they sell it separately.
They're generally very durable but they're cheap on FB Marketplace if you need a replacement.
If it is included but they have never used it, check that it has the tailgate bar and plastic brackets, door surrounds and roll bar mount brackets.

Engine:
The 2007-2012 models used the thirsty and underpowered but reliable 3.8 v6.
The 2012-2018 models used the still relatively thirsty but decently powerful 3.6 v6 that is proving to be dependable.
I don't have experience with the 2.8 diesel but the few people who I know run them, love them.
A few 2012-2013 3.6 had relatively minor issues that should mostly be sorted out by now.

Gearbox:
The 4 speed auto in the 2007-2011 3.8 is just OK.
The Mercedes-built W5A580 5 speed auto in the 2012+ petrol's and diesels is durable, reliable and smooth.
The 6 speed manual that came in all years is easy to shift and relatively reliable.

Having experience with a 2010 manual 3.8 Sport 2 door and now a 2015 auto 3.6 Sport Unlimited with all the mods, I think it's worth saving up and keeping an eye out for a 2012+ auto 3.6 Unlimited. The engine, gearbox and interior is worth the extra money in my opinion.

A 3.8 manual Rubicon is an interesting alternative in your price range, especially because the bigger front diff, 4.10 ratios and lockers pay for themselves if you want to do rock crawling or you want to run 35s. As with all vehicles, only a test drive will tell you if a manual, a 3.8 or the older interior is worth the money saved to you.

Good luck with your search. This damned Covid-tax and state border closures makes car-buying way more difficult than before.