Road trip to SA waypoints of interest ?? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-07-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

The envirovandal greenies have been running the nanny state for too long.
40 years ago there were some great spots in the Adelaide hills like, The top end of Brownhill creek, Bald Hill, Off the sides of Sheoak Rd, From Heathfield through to Mylor, around the power station at Cherry Gardens, Behind Mt Bold, Behind the Stanvac Refinery, Kuitpo Forrest Just to mention a few. Problem is, SA Water has locked them all up. I grew up in the Adelaide hills.
Old 17-07-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

Beachport and Robe are definitely worth a few days of camping in the dunes.
Old 18-07-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

i agree with the nanny state bit but theres always loveday and tracks aound the top end of the murray, bendalby is good and its on your way in (ororroo), deep creek down south and there where some good tracks around mt compass between the adelaide goolwa road and mt compass, and the southern side of kuitpo forest and jupiter creek mines,theres also a track that runs from the western side of victor harbour up to myponga if it hasnt been gated , i'm down south of Adelaide
Old 18-07-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Kangaroo Island is the bomb but you will need a min of three full days as there is so much to see and do. Agree with Robe head down onto the beaches and there is some remarkable places on some of the remote beaches just a few km's from Robe.

Regards A

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 18-07-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 24-07-2014
Rubicon Pentastar!!

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone lots of food for thought, and no jimmy b you know what happened last time we camped in snowtown! 😱

SBRoffroad.com.au

www.SBRoffroad.com.au
Old 27-07-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

How far south of Adelaide do you want to go?
2 - 3 hours south east gets you to the start (northern end) of the Border Track. Camping is great just over the border in Victoria before heading down the track. It's an easy (time wise) drive south. Lower half is still closed after bush fires earlier this year. There are camping grounds along the track and in Ngarkat Nat Park.
From there, it is good to shoot over to the coast, Robe to Beachport really is fantastic but you need to like soft beach sand. Headed north from Robe and you get to the Coorong. Again, soft'ish beach sand but good for one night.
Goolwa is OK but winter has washed away a lot of sand. There is a sign that says Access to Murray Mouth is forbidden at the moment due to treacherous conditions! What rubbish but that's life. I was down there today; cold, windy, no beach at high tide. I wouldn't bother if I was driving thousands of kms from WA; there are better more beautiful places. Closer to Adelaide is Kuitpo Forest; a good camping place is Chookarloo. Check it out on the 'net.

This is all south of Adelaide.
Post New Thread  Reply