AMC 360 + Fuel efficiency mods - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default AMC 360 + Fuel efficiency mods

Is there anything you can do to increase the fuel economy?

It needs a good service and a tune.
It's running Dual Fuel.
It could be a daily driver for a while.

Currently, it's using 15l LPG to 40kms! that's 45L/100!!!

Going to see how much a full tank of gas gets me! Haven't tried that one yet!

On another note, Is there anything you can do for better performance? (Different engine, but still a 360) This one already has an HEI dizzy.

TIA
Old 10-08-2011
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Get the LPG set up checked, (by expert) it must be leaking to use that much, I've seen V8's use 30 may-be a bit more, but 45l to 100k's

if that dosent improve it then drop the keys off the harbour bridge,
Old 10-08-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts

must be a thirsty v8, is it dual fuel or just gas
? i think it needs a better tune for the gas, but you wont get the best unless its just gas (eg gas suited spark plugs) i can get my straight gas ford bfII wagon so say 42litres/100 kms on the trip computer but i have to really be giving it stick up a hill in low gear, around town it uses 15litres/100kms on average.
Old 10-08-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it has been running gas without using petrol there is a chance that it has warped the carby by now. It was a pretty common thing on 308's running LPG.
LP runs dry and hot so upper cylinder lube on an old engine would be recommended to.
Old 10-08-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Bogged,
in standard form you gotta remember they were a de-tuned POS slug of a motor..... low compression, rough head/port casting, poor port finish, crap 2 angle valve seat design, retarded timing.....the list goes on, all to meet tough early 80's pollution laws..... 175hp from a 360 cube engine is about 60% of what they are EASILY capable of.

Without going crazy, its the same with any engine.... make it breathe better and its going to perform better for the same given amount of fuel. That means clean filtration, better spark, freer exhaust. Make sure timing is set properly(cheap HEI's can be junk- Bulltear are one of the better ones), plugs and leads are good, and free up the enhaust. A smaller carb may see you going backwards, as you'll be on the pedal all the time.

After that, get the heads done, with work on the port turn radius, a good 3 angle valve seat job, Edelbrock performer or performer plus inlet, and a 470 TA. Then get rid of the standard cam (or get a good timing chain set that allows you to advance the timing), set of extractors, and thats about as good as you will get out of a relatively standard set up. If you are on LPG most of the time get a single plane inlet manifold and keep the lobe overlap to a minimum.

Mine was like that, and was approaching 300hp, and still drank about the same as you state (up to 40l per 100kms).

Otherwise, get the gas checked and tuned, it can be waaaaaay rich. does the exhaust really stink of gas? And get the needle/seat checked in the converter too, it may be either worn/corroded of full of waxxy gunk making it run rich.

Last edited by Richo; 10-08-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2011
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

EFI and Electronics.
Multi-squirt box (and I dont mean Cytheryea) in it and ditch the LPG.
That and all the stuff above and you may have a donk that is worth keeping for a few years.
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 13-08-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

You can fit feedback type lpg system, just need an O2 sensor in the exhaust & 5v regulated supply.Then get the electronic control module & solonoid valve, costs around $200.Then get dizzy re-graphed for LPG, & run premium when occasionally on petrol.