CRD Commander bad noises - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-11-2019
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default CRD Commander bad noises

So today some really unsettling noises have started coming from the engine, like a bad rattle in what sounds like the top end of the passenger side bank.

The missus took it with the horse float on a 120km round trip to bring some home, and upon getting home turned it off as soon as she pulled up. Went to start it again about 5 minutes later and it would kick, ended up having to jump start.

Started up on the jump but had that awful noise coming from the engine, so I pulled off the engine cover to try and narrow it down. After a few minutes the noise did quiet down a bit, but was still there. Did a basic code check, nothing except an old oil pressure code, but there is oil in it, certainly enough to spray out the filler cap when removed.

On a previous bodge repair one of the 4 "fingers" of the turbo inlet pipe had broken off, and repaired with some form of tape. I did notice this had started pulling back likely causing a vacuum leak at the turbo inlet. Removing the pipe a second finger broke off, so I'm now after a replacement pipe if anyone has one they don't need!

The noise has me most concerned though, and with the turbo now isolated from the air filter, I'm not particularly comfortable starting it even after it cools down, not the least of which for the error codes it will likely throw!

If anyone has any ideas about the rattling noise though, I'd love to hear them. And I've now told the missus that you can't just shut a turbo motor down straight after working hard!
Old 18-11-2019
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Post 6 is a cheap way to fix the intake pipe.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=147495

Try replacing the engine oil filter, wouldn't be the first collapsed oil filter that dropped oil pressure.
Old 19-11-2019
RustysRocker

Thanks Clarky, have ordered the intake pipe fix and a set of filters. Fingers crossed that you're on the right track!
Old 14-12-2019
RustysRocker

Update - I have done the intake pipe fix and changed the oil filter, but I believe the issue is actually with the starter motor not disengaging from the gear properly. Yesterday it wouldn't even engage until after a few tries.

I read another posters guide on replacing it, however because my arms aren't triple jointed and I don't have a suitable space to work, I am looking for recommendations for a trustworthy mechanic that won't gripe about it being a Jeep.
Old 16-12-2019
RustysRocker

Another update - starter is now the lesser of my worries after the Jeep left us stranded with a full horse float on the weekend with a P0202 code - number 2 injector circuit. Managed to drive it onto a trailer and tow it back home with a borrowed Hilux of all vehicles.

Did some probing today with a multimeter, the problem appears to be one of the pins in the 90 way connector to the ECU. An easy fix once I can track down a new pin!

Last edited by sbadman; 16-12-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply