Jk wheels and re-engineering - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-03-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Jk wheels and re-engineering

Hi guys and gals, after a bit of searching my son and I bought a 2014 JK, 3.6 manual, it’s had a fair bit of work done to it what with air lockers front and rear, 4.88 ratios, after market axles and suspension, blah,blah,blah, You know the drill, someone spent the money on it to do a lap around Oz then offloaded it. We’re not complaining as it’s a weapon off road. The issue I have is it’s got 37 inch rubber on it, I know it won’t be legal but am curious to know if anyone has tried getting these engineered and blue plated for 37’s, it only has a 2 inch lift so that’s still legal, the roof height is only 1880 so it’s only 40mm higher than stock.
I’ll upload some pics when I work out how. 😂😂😂
Old 30-03-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Not likely a great outcome for your 37’s. Even with only 2” lift the tyres are huge. Every state is different so you may be confined to keep in your state only. This from a previous thread -

“ Hhhmmm
I gave it a go a few years back to get engineered on a 4.5 lift with 35's.

I am not really sure on the exact details because I am older than dirt and can't remember anything anymore LoL. So your honour the below is to the best of my feeble ability.

These are the things that I didn't / couldn't or wanted to fix or afford.

1. Headlight height.
2. Distance the headlights are in from the widest point of my Jeep.
3. Stock DIffs unsuitability for the size offset wheels required to mount 35's so they don't foul on things.
4. 35's + 4.5inch lift exceeds the maximum amount of total lift allowed.
5. Vehicles with computer controlled advance stability programs are difficult for engineers to check & test let alone prove / sign off that they still work after Lift.
6. I heard rumours / stories about how extreme the brake tests were, I heard that I had to go to a race track, drive @ 100kph then slam on the brakes dozens of times, then perform the same tests using only the handbrake (which didn't work on std tyres let alone 35' treads). I also heard that some people cracked discs and wore out rotors & pads performing all the tests.
7. Mates of mine have been turned around at the NSW QLD border, some have been flat topped back to NSW from QLD because 35's are illegal in QLD and I have family in QLD & like to go to QLD especially the Goldcoast.
8. Rumours, like Heim joints and Rose joints are illegal on steering components and non OEM steering components needing to be destructively tested and or Xray'd.

The above is something like the picture I had in my head back then when trying to get engineered on 35's and at the time I certainly could not afford new / better diffs so I sold the 35's on Ebay and bought the 33's

Good luck mate”
Old 30-03-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Here’s an interesting article on running 37’s with the D44’s. Makes me think you will be much better off dropping back to say 33’s?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...run-37s-47368/
Old 31-03-2021
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey thanks for the reply’s, yep your right, it seems what should be a standard upgrade would be mission impossible for any normal person, the cost will be prohibitive due to having to conduct lane change and brake tests, after speaking to an engineer I use for truck blue plating, the biggest problem he can see is the stability control, apparently if a vehicle is fitted with stability control the biggest lift is 50mm before you have to get it reset if it can be changed.
Now I read your link about the dana 44s, I will source smaller rubber and keep the 37s for bush work until we wear them out then drop back to 35s, it’s a shame as the wagon looks so good with them but the potential problems out weigh the looks.
Thanks guys ����
Old 05-04-2021
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Could anyone tell me will the wheels from the Gladiators fit the JK, there seems to be a few sets for sale, if they will fit it is an option to get a set or two to have different rubber set up for on road and off road choices, it would only take half an hour in the workshop on Friday arvo to flick wheels over for off roading, would work out cheaper than driving full time on mud tyres with no full time grader noise.
Old 06-04-2021
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Not sure of the bolt pattern, but I did exactly that with a set of spare JK wheels several years ago.

edit: According to Wheel-Size.com, they match:
2020 Gladiator
JK Wrangler

Both are 71.5mm hub with 5 x 127mm bolt pattern. Doesn't mention the offset, though.

Further searching seems to indicate both are +44mm offset, & 7.5x17".

Last edited by Banshee; 06-04-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2021
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Read somewhere you may need to remove the lock washers from the studs. Ones that hold the rotor in place for assembly. As there isn't a recess in the JT/JL wheels.
Studs are different but apparently still fit.
Post New Thread  Reply