Front Prop Shaft Rear CV Recommendations? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-05-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 58 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Front Prop Shaft Rear CV Recommendations?

So I replaced this in Sept last year and it's already on the way out, has quite a bit of movement in it. The joint that was in it was OK but the boot was failed and it was almost dry of grease.

Anyway 8mths on and the new one from Rockauto is failing. I went with the SKP brand. Clearly was a bad choice.

The only other option at a more premium price I can find is the Dorman unit, but I've read plenty of negative reviews of Dorman also, and I expect it's also made in China anyway.

Are there any other options?
Don't really want to fork out $500-900 for a complete shaft.

Has anyone used the Dorman?
Good/bad experience?

Thanks.
Old 21-05-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Shane001, yes I have been through much the same as you. When I got my WH 3.0crd 18 months or so ago the cv on the rear of the front shaft was stuffed. I replaced it with one from Rockauto. It lasted for about 30,000. Cant remember the brand but I think they are pretty much all the same,just in a different box.Its the same cv in the WG/WJ as well. Anyway when I was replacing the cv I noticed that the grease they supply is almost clear and very thin. Should have chucked it and used Castrol LMM. So same as you found the shit grease leaked out and ruined the cv. So I cleaned up an old cv that was in one of my other Jeeps, but was changed out because it was starting to make some noise. So cleaned it up nice and packed it with Castrol LMM and put silicone on the gaskets. Also the bolts need to be retightened after about 50/100km. Since then(about 20,000km) the previously noisy cv is quite and no grease has leaked out. So my take on it all is...most of the CVs are the same,,,the grease they supply is crap ,,,and the gaskets leak unless you seal them,,and the bolts need retightening soon after a few Kms. Good luck, tell us what works out.
Old 22-05-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks yeah I had to do one on my previous WJ and was pretty sure it was the same part number. I used the cheaper option from Rockauto for the WJ and didn't have any issues with it. Seems to be very hit and miss.

Shame this part isn't available as genuine from Mopar, can only buy the entire shaft...

The grease that came with the one i installed last Sept was a thick black grease, same as came with the one I put in my WJ, but yeah think I will silicone the shit out of it this time to make sure no grease can leak out, and maybe get some Castrol grease.

Think I'll order the Dorman, probably end up being exactly the same just 4x more money, but never know, might be better quality. Will find out, figure I need to change it asap before it fails since the WH can't be driven without the front shaft connected (very annoying feature compared to the WJ).

PS: Wish I'd kept my original WJ one, it was fine just for the cracked boot.
Old 22-05-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey Shane001, I too was a bit disappointed when I found out that the WH will not drive in HI range with out the front shaft, not like the trusty old WG/WJ. Alexbrown64 had a similar run with these cv joints too ( Hi Alex, hope your doing well).
Just changing the subject a touch, to the rear tail shaft....have you looked at the unijoints. Alexbrown64 did a great job on his replacing the " staked " in unis. His posts gave me the courage to take the old uni joints out and replace them. Only thing I did a bit different to Alex was I used epoxy resin between the end caps on the U joints and the tabs I welded on(to retain u joints). On my WH there was a small gap between the caps and the tabs and the epoxy filled this in nice---looked great when finished and painted. I used greasable uni joints as well. Its done 365,000km on the old ones, so she should be OK for a while now.
Old 22-05-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Yeah my rear shaft is fine, it's just that front shaft rear cv that is the weak point. I spent a couple of hours researching UK and europe part sites tonight and found a couple of other brands but again they all look to be made in china, probably all from the same factory.

Fingers crossed the Dorman unit is worth the 4x premium.
Old 22-05-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Just found this online. Would be the go but don't really want to spend $AU800-900.

https://4xshaft.com/products/wk-gran...44133908447550
Old 26-05-2023
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

According to the " Hardy Spicer Driveshaft Component Catalogue " , page B:1 -107

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 - 2010 , Front Shaft T/C End .

The Hardy Spicer part number for the CV assembly plunging is " CV-875 "

and the part number for joint and boot is CVJ.CHT4 .
Post New Thread  Reply