WH/WK 3.0 CRD Oil Leaks - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-05-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 58 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nice info Benno, not a cheap bloody seal though.
A0149977146 via MB Seven Hills is $139.60 in stock in Melb.
Probably worth replacing the o-rings at the same time.
0129974045 - $7.35
0049975748 - $13.75
Both in stock in Sydney.

Mine definitely needs replacing, I get quite a bit of oil to the front of the turbo. So am going to replace these before I tackle the bigger job of the oil cooler seals.

Going to do a bit more of a search online first though to see if I can get it cheaper from OS, but probably not when factoring in freight.

Also the Crankcase Ventilation CCV Cover Housing 6420107215 is just under $300 from MB Seven Hills.
Old 03-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

FYI so if you do a lookup for the correct part number on one of the mopar parts sites you get the part number from Benno's pics 05175512AA. This corresponds to MB part number 6420107215.

From MB SH part number 6420107215 is $299.
But if you ring Jeep Parramatta the corresponding Jeep part number 05175512AA is only $124!
Very surprised Jeep was cheaper and by over half!!
Both in stock in warehouses in Melbourne.

However, the part number referenced in the youtube video is A6420100131.
I decided to get the mirror out and check to see what the number stamped on the one on my engine was. Sure enough it was A6420100131.

So I rang MB SH for a price for A6420100131. $95!! And in stock in Melbourne.
So I ordered this one. When I picked it up the next day they only charged me $86!

Happy Days lol!

I don't know what the difference is between A6420100131 & 6420107215/05175512AA.
It would be interesting to know what the number stamped on the one from Jeep is.

Anyway hopefully I'll get mine swapped over in the next week or so.
Old 24-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Finally swapped this CCV housing today. Took about 2 1/2 hours but reckon you could easily do it in around 1 hour. I took my time trying to see how everything works.

Interestingly the pics you see of the old and new housing seals compared side by side is misleading. The inside diameter of the seal on the old one is much bigger than the new one, but this is mostly by design. If you have a closer look, the new one on the inside is wafer thin, whereas the old one on the inside has been folded in around 4-5mm. When you push this onto the end of the camshaft, which is a much bigger diameter than the ID of the seal, the seal actually forms and folds over the end of the camshaft as you push it on.

So I don't know if mine actually did need replacing or not. The seal itself looked to be fine but of course you don't know how close a fit it still is without being able to see inside with it fitted. So anyway new one is now fitted.

I didn't change the PCV, though after researching further this morning and actually having a look at how this all works I will be changing it. I think it's a lot more likely the diaphram in the PCV is the cause of the excess oil in the turbo intake rather than the seal in the CCV housing. I'll get a price on Monday and change it later in the week. This'll only take 15-30mins to change.

I did change the PCV o-ring though. The one on it was hard and flattened, almost more like plastic than rubber when taking it off.

I was going to open the PCV to check the condition of the diaphram but this was going to break the plastic cover to get it off so decided to leave this for now. Will check it though once I replace with a new one.

Final tip. Be careful not to drop any bolts, especially the one towards the middle over the valley lol. Luckily I have a good stash of bolts...
Old 16-07-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

I changed the PCV Saturday two weeks ago.
The part number on my existing PCV was A6420100391.
This is now superseded by MB part number 6420101891.
Price for this from MB SH was $335! And I don't think this came with the hose.
The corresponding Jeep part number is 68188865AA.
This is $211 plus freight from RockAuto, but only $102 from Jeep Parramatta!

Someone at Parramatta Motor Group has finally woken up that charging massive mark ups on parts just results in everyone buying their parts from overseas. This is now several parts in a row where either PMG or MB SB has been cheaper than OS.

Anyway, so I took the intake hose off yesterday to have a look.
No difference what so ever in the amount of oil in the intake hose and the front of the turbo!!
I pulled my old one apart, and my diaphragm was split, so it did need replacing, but made no difference to the amount of oil going throug to the turbo and intake.

I have a provent that I'll be putting on when I get around to it, but I was expecting this to have at least made some difference... Sadly not.
Old 16-07-2023
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

I replaced the seal in the back of the head in mine , the diaphragm was good . Made no difference . My provent 200 is still intercepting the same amount of oil . I think that it is just a bad design and that these engines produce a fair bit of blow-by .
Old 04-08-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 837 Times in 469 Posts

You are right.These motors tend to have a lot of blowby,changed my PVC and made little difference.The Provent 200 catches a lot.
Post New Thread  Reply