Brake disc temperatures - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Murchison Products
Find out how to advertise on Ausjeep?

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 2 Weeks Ago
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Brake disc temperatures

I have a strange issue with my rear brakes: All new calipers, and rear outer hoses. New slide pins, calipers slide easily. But if I drive a ,say 20 km driv, without touching the brakes at all, the discs are qiute hot. I cantouch them, but its just barely. Its like a hot cup of coffey. Front discs are ice cold. When i jack up the car, its no problem to spin the rear wheels, so it doesnt really stick. No smoke either.
I have changed the fluid. The car rolls eaasily when in Neutral. Is this normal? Can it be the source of my bad fuel consumption?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Full Flexer

Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Disc brakes rely on a little run-out of the disc to push the pads back. They have no spring returns. The WJ front discs work hard normally, so they are more likely to have a little more run-out than the rear.

From what you posted, I don't see any problem. If the drag was enough to burn an extra few litres per 100km then after 20km they'd be glowing red.
Sponsored Posts
Old 2 Weeks Ago
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I found some receipts in the car , one of them telling me that the master cylinder was replaced 3 years ago. I have read on several forums that a mismatching pushrod lenght can be an issue, if the brake booster was not changed at the same time, and the brake booster seems to be the original one.
Is this pushrod adjustable? Maybe the master cylinder has a little bit of pressure applied to it even if the pedal is released... ?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is this pushrod adjustable, or can I simple take it out and cut of one millimeter at a time to get this fixed? Im almost sure this must be the problem, the brakes start to take when I touch the pedal with my foot. There is no dead spot at all
Sponsored Posts
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,107 Times in 4,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjohnson View Post
Is this pushrod adjustable, or can I simple take it out and cut of one millimeter at a time to get this fixed? Im almost sure this must be the problem, the brakes start to take when I touch the pedal with my foot. There is no dead spot at all
Rather than starting trial mods that are permanent, why not try a short trip some place safe with the vac line to the booster disconnected? You will need to clamp the tube & be careful if you remove it from the booster so as not to break the plastic fitting. The next would be to place washers between the booster & the firewall on the mounting bolts, this will have the same effect as a shorter rod. You can cut a piece out of the washer so it can be put in without removing the booster.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Full Flexer

Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Rather than starting trial mods that are permanent, why not try a short trip some place safe with the vac line to the booster disconnected?
I could think of many reasons why not, top two on the list being no effective brakes and possibly no insurance coverage if things end badly.
Sponsored Posts
Old 2 Weeks Ago
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Rather than starting trial mods that are permanent, why not try a short trip some place safe with the vac line to the booster disconnected? You will need to clamp the tube & be careful if you remove it from the booster so as not to break the plastic fitting. The next would be to place washers between the booster & the firewall on the mounting bolts, this will have the same effect as a shorter rod. You can cut a piece out of the washer so it can be put in without removing the booster.

Yeah, I actually tried this, and without the vacuum it was dragging less, almost no heat at all. But its not easy to get to the backside of the booster?Very tight space back there, but I will try.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is it not possible to shim between the master cylinder and the booster? Much easier access.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 850 Times in 595 Posts

How many Kms on your vehicle? If your wheel bearings are about to let go, it would cause a lot of heat to the rears.

Also, has your parking brake been adjusted too tightly and dragging? That would account for the heat and bad fuel economy.