Grand Mods for performence - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2004
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Are you blokes real or just rich?

Gents,
How much money do you have? A lot it sounds like?
This is Bill Loneskie again- look I am wondering how many of you are operating in real conditions? Dust ingress in any form is going to wipe you out sooner or later. In remote areas-reliability is king, either in my deserts of WA or here in Weipa- you must get back home, there is no room for sick vehicles, worst case-you die.
The K+N option may release ponies- but for how long, there must be alternatives that also trap shit.
Some of these comments about dust past the filter makes me shiver!!
Jeesus gents- some of the comments make me wonder why I bought a jeep in the first place- my wagon is no toy and I have not the inclination to be replacing donks or any other parts through slackness- is this site just a game for kiddies with too much time and money?
Bill.
Old 11-05-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill on that score I think I'd just keep plenty of standard air filters around and replace as required regardless of how long they've been in the car. I've done a little gravel road driving 'round here and nothing has got through the std filter thus far.

Old 11-05-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bill

No, it is not. The TJ guys are the weekend-warrior set, but us Grand guys are more or less here for the long-range touring stuff. I agree with you ENTIRELY about reliability. I do a lot of remote travel, but haven't finished off the mods I want on the Grand before it goes out. So far I've put on the following: (by the way, it's the turbo diesel - for TOURING)

ARB Winch Bar
ARB Compressor (under rear LHS seat)
GME TX-3400 remote head UHF radio
Outback 4WD Accessories roller drawer system and EvaKool 47L fridge/feezer
245/75x16 Cooper ST tyres
LightForce 240 spotties
EezyAwn rooftop tent

... and plenty more to come. If Safari doesn't ever come out with a bloody snorket, I will have a stainless one made up specially. I don't care what it costs me... damaging the engine just 'aint worth it. Apart from that, I want to get home every time.

I rely on the paper air filter element. I have replaced it and found dust, mud, sticks, leaves, stones (pebbles) and water in the lower airbox, yet NOTHING got above the filter element. It was as clean as a whistle up in the inlet tract.... and that's pulling air that's on its way to a turbo and intercooler.

I'd enjoy talking to someone else around here to intends to do serious, long-range touring stuff.
http://www.omaroo.net
Old 11-05-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chris how did you go as far wiring up the 240 spotties....as in relays etc...what did you use

Old 11-05-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kel

You just need a simple relay circuit that has one side of the solenoid (armature) connected to ground, and the other to the high-beam wire (use a push-on splitter junction) behind a headlight and all via an in-line switch (low current) in the cabin. The other two pins on the relay go to ground and a 20-amp fusebox I have installed and then on to the battery positive side.

Then, I get spotlights on only when in high-beam... as per the regulations. The inline switch allows me to have them on in this mode, or to have them off alltogether.

If you are coming at me and have your high beams on.... watch out.
Old 12-05-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hehe....you'd better watch out too you know......mine may not be as bright as yours but you'll know you've been zapped.......
The aim of the query was simply that the wrangler ppl make a point of specifying heavier grade wires than std. I wondered how you went but seeing as you've simply crimped into the std headlights you're not concerned.
My 5" Jeep spotties (55w) are adequate thus far. Being dealer fitted pre-purchase means I'll query them abt the pros and cons of fitting 100w globes. They should know whether the relay they used is up to it or not.
ciao

Old 12-05-2004
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whoa Kel !!

"Clipping" into the high-beam wire is only for the switching circuit... i.e. the low-power side of the relay that trips the high-power connection on the other side of the relay.

The "power" that feeds the lights comes straight from the battery via a 20-amd fuse.
Post New Thread  Reply