ATF+4 substitute fluid - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2012
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
mate, even the dealers don't use mopar products. they deal direct with an oil company and buy product in bulk drums at the best price available. the idea that dealers use mopar stuff in their services is a misconception. aftermarket or "other brand" products are just fine. the dealers use them.
That is not true.

The dealers in brisbane use Mopar ATF+4 in the power steering and automatic transmissions.

They also use the Mopar synthetic oil for the 6 spd manual and the D44 equipped with electric lockers (Rubicon and Off Road Group optioned Sport).

Everything else seems to cop whatever bulk deal they've negotiated.
Old 02-05-2012
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Pretty sure the dealer I went to uses Mopar ATF+4.
Old 02-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
For transmission, gearbox and tcase I strongly recommned to stick to mopar fluids they are tested and proven.
The Mopar fluid is tested against the ATF-4 spec and meets it's requirements. If any other fluid is meeting or exceeding the spec it's equaly good or better.
Old 02-05-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Dealer in Melbourne quoted $140 for 4lt (~3.74lt) of Mopar ATF +4.
Poly 4x4 quoted $90 for same. Still bloody expensive for "Transmission Fluid".
Old 02-05-2012
It's a JK Thing ;)

Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Dealership i work for use Mopar ATF+4 in all jeeps where its specified all the time everytime myself & the other Jeep Tech make sure of it , i use it in my XJ & it will be the only oil i use in my 2012 JK Unlimited when it arrives & of the 5 other major Dealers i have visited while on coarse they use & stock every Mopar fluid in there parts departments , i think u will find its part of the franchise agreement Mopar & Jeep come hand in hand , but thats just my 2 bobs worth im sure other brand oils are okay to use but its a mater of choice like all things & only time will tell if other brands really are okay
Old 02-05-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

" Shell Lubricants provides dealer-level program and marketing support and supplies the Mopar oil program with premium Mopar and Pennzoil® motor oils for Chrysler Group vehicles and competitive makes."

http://helfmancars.wordpress.com/201...made-04132011/

I guess that would mean Mopar oils are rebadged Shell products (or Pennzoil, which is owned by Shell)

Though another titbit of info I found is even more interesting: "The Mopar oil that you buy in the quart bottles is packaged by Mobil. But the Mopar oil that goes in to new Chrysler products at the factory is made by Shell, and the bulk Mopar oil at the dealerships that feature Mopar oil is made by Shell."

So this would mean if you buy Mopar oil from the dealer, you are in effect changing brands.... go figure!

And finally, on the ATF+4 debate: "Manufacturers can make ATF+4 fluids, but to use the trademarked ATF+4 name in their compatibility list, they must have their fluids tested and licensed by Chrysler engineers, and must use Lubrizol in their formulations. Licensed fluids are periodically sampled from stores to assure quality."
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

OK, just one more edit!!!

Remember, for best performance and vehicle warranty compliance select only licensed ATF+4® for your
Chrysler Group vehicle. Use of non-licensed ATF brands may damage your vehicle or void your warranty.
Please contact us to report unauthorized use of the ATF+4® trademark by non-licensed brands.

Advance Auto Parts ATF+4®
Amalie ATF+4®
Auto Extra ATF+4®
AutoZone ATF+4®
Carquest ATF+4®
Castrol ATF+4®
Castrol Transmax ATF+4®
Chevron ATF+4®
Citgo Transgard ATF+4®
Coastal ATF+4®
Craft+4 ATF+4®
Federated Auto Parts ATF+4®
Great Wall ATF+4®
Havoline ATF+4®
MAG 1 ATF+4®
Mobil ATF+4®
Mobil Super ATF+4®
Mopar ATF+4®
NAPA ATF+4®
Northland ATF+4®
O’Reilly ATF+4®
Parts Master ATF+4®
Parts Plus ATF+4®
Pennzoil ATF+4®
Petro-Canada ATF+4®
Prime Guard ATF+4 ®
Proline ATF+4®
Pronto ATF+4®
Pure Guard ATF+4®
Quaker State ATF+4®
Ravenol ATF+4®
Sinopec ATF+4®
Super Tech ATF+4®
Tutela Transmission Force4 ATF+4®
Valvoline ATF+4®

Licensed ATF+4 Brands as of 04/01/2012 - http://www.centerforqa.com/images/20...sed_Brands.pdf

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 02-05-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 22-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ended up using the Nulon full synthetic ATF+4 compatible transmission fluid.

However, I experiencing a issue in the transmission of a a delayed start.

It's only in the morning when I take off from my house to approach the main road (20m) to stop and sitting there for 5 -10 seconds. when I push the accelerator to turn into the road, the car doesn't take off immidiatly, only after a second or two.

what is your thought on this? the transmission does not loose any fluid and the dipstick shows correct level of fluid. I will try to top up a bit, to see if it does make any difference.

Alternatevly I will buy the MOPAR ATF+4, don't know if I should flush the box again and replace filter, or if I can use a pump to suck out the fluid and replace it with the MOPAR one. I know that mixing fluids is not ideal but Nulon and Mopar suppose to be compatibel.
Post New Thread  Reply