'06 CRD Transmission in Limp Home Mode - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default '06 CRD Transmission in Limp Home Mode

Hi All

I posted this in the Commander forum, but as the drivelines between XH and WH are shared I thought I'd try here too.

I am currently negotiating the purchase of an '06 CRD Commander Sport with around 130k from a dealer here in QLD. As the vehicle is in Noosa (and I'm on the Gold Coast) I had an RACQ inspection completed, and the report arrived this morning. The following items were listed as defects that need attention before the vehicle should be purchased:

* Wipers - Wiper delay system inoperative
* Engine Warning Light - flashing continuously
* Transmission - appears to be in Limp Home Mode, performance limited, no kick-down operation and will not rev past 3000rpm.

I'm guessing the last two items are related, and I've asked the dealer to have these issues resolved before I even consider going through with the deal.

After googling around it would appear that transmission issues plagued the early Commanders/Grand Cherokees from new, and the causes ranged from old trans fluid and filter, to trans control modules, to pressure switches.

Has anyone here run into the same problem with their WH CRD? The rest of the car received a clean bill of health apart from dirty seat belts and light oil stains on the engine covers, so if they can fix the trans issue (they have a 6 year 200,000km warranty as well) I'll go for it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-04-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,884 Times in 2,298 Posts

You would need to know the codes to tell what the actual problem with the Tranny is, if it is in limp mode then you wouldn't get it very far from the dealers driveway and he couldn't sell it to you anyway as it would be Unroadworthy.
Unless it was checked and fixed by someone you can trust ie: not associated with the car dealer then I would give it a miss. The warranty they would be offering probably wouldn't cover if the tranny needed replacing.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 07-04-2014
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

I'm going to have a guess here and say it's not from the Jeep dealer as they would have surely at least cleared the error before letting the car get tested if nothing else. I wonder if the code magically appeared the moment RACQ got their hands on it, who in their right mind would put it up for sale with an active check engine light.

This issue could be as simple as fluid level, low or high, or as major as near complete meltdown and only the Jeep dealer or a very good trans shop with Merc gearbox diagnostics will be able to track it down. They need to be able to read the TCM, the ECU codes for gearbox issues are near useless. Having said that these gearboxes are actually very robust and not much goes wrong with them , they are powering millions of Merc from the family sedan to high power V8's.

I would want to know who is repairing the box and I don't have a lot of faith in the local Noosa Jeep dealer. AT any rate I think I'd be walking the other way from a dealer that puts a car on the lot with the CEL on. I'd also be reading the warranty carefully first too.
Old 07-04-2014
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Another option is to find how much a tranny rebuild is and subtract this off of the dealer price if everything is in good order.

Drover and Fester have made some good points but there is no guarantee even if you find another one that it won't have some problems either.
Old 07-04-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If the engine light was constantly on it means you have an issue so take it to a service centre soon.

If the engine light is "flashing continuously" it means stop & call a tow truck

As Drover said we need codes to have an idea, I would want a printout of the codes & I would also like it in writing that "all transmission related problems will be FULLY covered for the warranty period" as a lot of these warranty's only cover repairs up to a specified amount & a replacement auto is said to be around 8 to $10,000.
Old 07-04-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

I don't think you have a warranty?
6 years or 200,000klm,
The Jeep is 2006 plus 6 years = 2013 warranty finished.
And then a dealer letting it get inspected in limp mode....think I would be saying next.

When I brought my 2007 WH, shortly after it went into limb mode 105,000klm.
Fix was
Transfer case motor ...$200.00
Transmission control module ...$350.00
Re programming .............$200.00
Costs approx.
I brought the parts in from the USA installed myself..not hard and got the Maroochydore Jeep dealer to programme the TCM.

I was hoping a transmission oil change / correct levels and a filter would fix but no.
As others have said you need the fault codes.
You may want to consider your own code reader...Autoenginuity @ $650.00 seems to work OK, reads the TCM.

Also at 130,000klm check, glow plugs, front diff mounts and front driveshaft rear CV joint.

Last edited by hotqld; 07-04-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotqld View Post
I don't think you have a warranty?
6 years or 200,000klm,
The Jeep is 2006 plus 6 years = 2013 warranty finished.
And then a dealer letting it get inspected in limp mode....think I would be saying next.

When I brought my 2007 WH, shortly after it went into limb mode 105,000klm.
Fix was
Transfer case motor ...$200.00
Transmission control module ...$350.00
Re programming .............$200.00
Costs approx.
I brought the parts in from the USA installed myself..not hard and got the Maroochydore Jeep dealer to programme the TCM.

I was hoping a transmission oil change / correct levels and a filter would fix but no.
As others have said you need the fault codes.
You may want to consider your own code reader...Autoenginuity @ $650.00 seems to work OK, reads the TCM.

Also at 130,000klm check, glow plugs, front diff mounts and front driveshaft rear CV joint.
This dealer does have a free 6 year/200000 warranty on new and used cars and it starts from the day you purchased the vehicle if there is no manufacturer warranty left BUT conditions apply you'd need to check out the conditions. You'd think that with this warranty they would have performed a thorough inspection before they offered this warranty.
Post New Thread  Reply