TPMS on trailer? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-05-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 83 Times in 46 Posts
Default TPMS on trailer?

Howdy,

I'm investigating getting a camper trailer, and was wondering what / if any TPMS system you guys who tow use? I'm thinking of running WK2 stock wheels on the camper, but even if they all have the standard mopar TPMS sensors from what I've read they'll be too far from the receiver to register? And it will only register 4 spinning wheels anyway? Mine's a stock WK2 laredo, so only displays a warning, not individual pressures.

The tyredog system looks pretty good, but would I run this in addition to the built-in TPMS or get the built-in TPMS disabled?

Anyway, just after some ideas of what setups you use?

Cheers,
Matt.
Old 23-05-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Yep, too far away to register. And even if they could register, they'd probably just interfere with the signal from the sensors in the tyres on the car. I doubt it will register though.
Old 23-05-2014
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

I have not done it yet but I have been looking into TPMS for a 2400km trip with a huge trailer to move some furniture in a few weeks. My step-sons have the 8 sensor Tyredogs with relay units for around $650 members price from the RAA (Royal Automobile Association in SA-other states may have a similar deal). It seems to be very good but as a self funded retiree I am more tight fisted. I called Matt at DigOptions and asked about the unit he sells for $199 to interface with my Chinese MultiMedia head unit. This can only take four sensors so it would only monitor the trailer and leave the Jeep system to watch the vehicle tyres. Matt recommended his on-dash unit that is also $199 with 4 sensors and can be expanded to 27 tyres. He said it is a better quality unit. His web site is more specific stating it is less prone to interference. I may go this way - then I can swap it between vehicles too. I will use the cap sensors so I can swap between trailers. Derek Bester sells a 6 sensor unit on eBay for around $410 with expansion capability as a mid priced full featured solution for a vehicle and single axle trailer. I don't know if there would be interference between the Jeep sensors and the aftermarket sensors if fitted to the same wheel. I guess it would depend on the frequency used - if you go that way you might be able to tell me!
Old 24-05-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have used TyreDogs for years.

I have a six sensor unit with a repeater and it works well.

There is no noticeable interference with the Jeep system - I have a Laredo with the useless minimalist TPMS system. The Laredo system is set to show an error at 30 psi. Stupid and useless on a 4WD!!!

I have had other systems before and they were less effective than the TyreDogs.

I prefer a system where ALL tyre pressures are shown ALL the time, not the ones which swap around the tyres, showing only one at a time.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 24-05-2014
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Howdy,

I'm thinking of running WK2 stock wheels on the camper, but even if they all have the standard mopar TPMS sensors from what I've read they'll be too far from the receiver to register?
Matt.
The other problem is getting someone to provide a wheel hub drilled for the Jeep PCD, I'm not aware of anyone local who will supply this pattern at the moment.
Old 24-05-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

An even bigger problem seems to be the tiny inner circle diameter. As far as I know, no-one makes a hub that can be machined to suit it - not with brakes, anyway.

I wanted to match the wheels on my camper to my WK2, thus giving me three more spares, but I was told there are no hubs to suit.

Discovery 3/4 wheels have the same problem.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 24-05-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 83 Times in 46 Posts

Thanks for the replies - seems like getting the wheels matched is more trouble than it's worth.

I'm going to run a second spare for the car on the roof rack like most here, so I guess it's not an issue… but it would have looked cool too
The resale of the camper with Jeep wheels might be an issue down the track as well.

I'll look at bit more into the tyre dogs - they are a bit expensive, but seem the goods. Good to know they won't interfere with the stock system.

Cheers,
Matt.
Post New Thread  Reply