Rear engine seal leak - replaced twice now and still leaking - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-07-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Rear engine seal leak - replaced twice now and still leaking

Hi guys.

Long time no hear. Hope you are all well.
I would need your advice please in regards to a reoccurring rear engine seal leak on a 2005 KJ CRD 2.8.
I had it replaced twice now in the last 2 years and it is leaking again.
The first time the replacement was good and didn't leak. Then from one day to another it started dripping again. Had it replaced again but without muck luck. With the replacement the CVV was replaced as well just to be sure there was no over pressurizing.
A bit of info:
- oil change every 5-6K
- Oil is Penrite HPR 5W40
- Oil level is accurate (not over filled)
-- Engine is running fine without any problems (just leaking oil between engine and transmission seam)

When changing the rear seal do you have to use this "insertion tool" for the seal? The seal comes as one part from Jeep (back plate, 2 o-rings and front plate).

Thanks in advance
Old 20-07-2020
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,566 Times in 4,349 Posts

There was quite a bit on lostjeep back a while ago about replacing the RMS . Its no straight forward. I dont remember the details but if not done according to a certain procedure, you are likely to get a leak.
Old 20-07-2020
Established Member

Thanks mate.
I will have a look tonight on lost and see what i can find.
Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
Old 20-07-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

It is possible the problem isn’t the main seal but there may be wear marks on the shaft itself. You will need to use a micrometer to check the spot where the seal sits. If there is wear you can get a sleeve to repair it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21-07-2020
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

When you say leaking what exactly do you mean? A rear main can be weeping (have oil appearing on the rear of the casing without ever dripping onto the ground. I held onto a so are RMS kit for years, thinking I would have to replace it, but it never actually leaked enough to spot my driveway. I used to wipe off the case when I changed the oil and that was all I ever had to do.
I will state the obvious, this is pretty common on KJ CRDs once they get old, and yes over filling is the most common cause- and in this case over filling us running oil at the full mark, it should be kept just below full, say a mm or so. Yes over pressure of the crank case is another poss8ble cause, and i know of at least one 2005 that had terrible blown, so bad that itcwas blowing oil out the Provent relief valve. In that case ring damage had created over pressure and the engine needed a rebuild.
Old 19-12-2020
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
When you say leaking what exactly do you mean? A rear main can be weeping (have oil appearing on the rear of the casing without ever dripping onto the ground. I held onto a so are RMS kit for years, thinking I would have to replace it, but it never actually leaked enough to spot my driveway. I used to wipe off the case when I changed the oil and that was all I ever had to do.
I will state the obvious, this is pretty common on KJ CRDs once they get old, and yes over filling is the most common cause- and in this case over filling us running oil at the full mark, it should be kept just below full, say a mm or so. Yes over pressure of the crank case is another poss8ble cause, and i know of at least one 2005 that had terrible blown, so bad that itcwas blowing oil out the Provent relief valve. In that case ring damage had created over pressure and the engine needed a rebuild.
Thanks Glend for the input and suggestions.
Sorry for the late reply. We had some family emergency in the mean time and the Jeep was at the mechanic for a while.
The problem was found and solved. However I now need a new engine block most likely.
It turned out not to be seal itself. The leak came from above the seal area from a crack in the engine block. It was visible after removing a couple of parts. He used a die grinder on the crack the best he could and used steel putty to refill it. After cutting and polishing it looked like new (saw the process pics).
After driving now for nearly 1000km no more oil leaks. However here is the question. How long will it last? Do you have any experience with repairs like that? My mechanic said the worse words when i picked it up...."i would get rid of it soon"....
Worse case scenario i need to replace the engine block. Do you have any info on going prices and possibly sources?.
Thanks again and have a wonderful Christmas everyone.
Cheers
Tom
Old 19-12-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Phet View Post
Thanks Glend for the input and suggestions.
Sorry for the late reply. We had some family emergency in the mean time and the Jeep was at the mechanic for a while.
The problem was found and solved. However I now need a new engine block most likely.
It turned out not to be seal itself. The leak came from above the seal area from a crack in the engine block. It was visible after removing a couple of parts. He used a die grinder on the crack the best he could and used steel putty to refill it. After cutting and polishing it looked like new (saw the process pics).
After driving now for nearly 1000km no more oil leaks. However here is the question. How long will it last? Do you have any experience with repairs like that? My mechanic said the worse words when i picked it up...."i would get rid of it soon"....
Worse case scenario i need to replace the engine block. Do you have any info on going prices and possibly sources?.
Thanks again and have a wonderful Christmas everyone.
Cheers
Tom
I have experience in engine block repairs on outboard motors (power heads). Unfortunately, none of my experiences are good even with the ‘best of the best’ repairing them. I don’t think it will last, but not the end of the world in so much as a rebuilt engine from a wrecked Jeep is not out of the question.