WH Grand Cooling Fan - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2010
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts
Default WH Grand Cooling Fan

Hey out there,

Has anyone experienced the engine cooling fan (CRD hydraulic one) locking up? (2007 CRD grand)

Was on the way home from Woopi with family yesterday and noticed temp rapidly rising after a fuel stop near grafton, and even cruising at 60ks kept rising. Came to a stop, and within 5 seconds over temp alarms all over the shop, popped the hood and the fan wasnt turning, and i couldnt even turn it by hand.

Gave the radiator a spriter with a spray bottle to bring it down a bit, then shut it down. After about an hour, then fan could be turned again, then when temp had come down to about a 1/4 started up, and was working fine . Put the family and the camper on to the bro-in laws Prado (thats going to cost me....) and cruised it home at 90ks, no dramas.

Now admittedly this was at midday yesterday with the camper fully loaded, roof bag, rods etc on board but not enough to overheat the Jeep?

Has anyone else had something similar?

Dave
Old 03-01-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have pretty much the same setup as you.

07 build CRD, also with Commander rims and 265 BFG's, ARB bullbar.

And I towed a camper trailer and all all our crap to Melbourne and back over the christmas break, in upto 40 deg heat.

The temp never got above 104 deg C (According to the scan gauge)...or a little above norm on the temp gauge.

The oversize tyres and bull bar would make the cooling system work hard....as would the giant lightforce XGT 240s. But I have had no problems so sounds like your car has other issues.

2008 Grand Cherokee CRD
Old 04-01-2010
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

Thanks WNJ,

Do you have a chip in yours at all?

I take it the XGT's fitted the ARB bar with no hassles? Im still running the Ipf's (like candles) as i couldnt get my Bull lamps to fit without surgery.

Cooling system tests fine, no junk between condensor and radiator. Going to change all filters and do a service, and if anything else shows up try and get someone to check the tune. Mine is either running a chip, or has been flashed at some stage so no im trying to find out which one!

Got a pic of yours modded?

Dave
Old 04-01-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nope no chip...

Here is a pic before the new wheels ant tyres.

The XGT’s needed minor encouragement to fit, just had to drill another mounting hole towards the front of the bar in the mounting bracket.

But they still fit behind the front edge of the bar so they are not the first thing to hit when others park by braille.

The XGT’s and the high beams are HID so night vision is brilliant.

Good luck with the cooling system.

2008 Grand Cherokee CRD
Old 04-01-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...try again with pic.

Not so big this time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1468_anon.JPG
Views:	39