It's Springtime 2 - XJ LIFT - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2004
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default It's Springtime 2 - XJ LIFT

By: Ray Wade

Since my visit to Allset Springs, I've now completed the kit and it’s time to get it fitted to the XJ. With my trusting mate Thommo ready to go, we organised our tools (read stubbie coolers) and decided to tackle the front coils first.

The front was a relatively basic job to do. Raise the vehicle and support on stands for easier access. Remove the wheels, remove the shocks (as they will be replaced with long travel ones) and sway bar, then raise the opposing wheel by jack. Removing the swaybar will give maximum wheel travel and the coil can be simply pulled out. Coil compressors are recommended to refit the new, longer coils.

Once they are done, the lower control arms were next. Slotted spacers are required at the rear of the control arms to move the differential angle. The large bolt mounted sideways needs to be loosened so it can move forward in its slot. After that the two smaller bolts at the rear of the arms are undone to separate the arm from the chassis.

This creates the void to be filled with the spacers. The slotted spacers (2 each side) are fitted and the two rear retaining bolts are tightened. After this the larger bolt on the side is re-tightened in its new position. Perform the same for the other side and the diff is now re-positioned forward.

Now moving onto the rear. With the jeep sitting on stands and wheels removed, place a jack under the axle to support its weight. Then undo the nuts holding the u-bolts to the axle, the front bolt of the spring and lastly the bolt on the top of the leaf shackle. Using the jack to lower the axle, the spring can be removed once clear of the vehicle. You’ll then need to separate the shackle from the leaf spring and refit it to the vehicle.

When refitting the new leaves a castor correction wedge is used to alter the rear diff angle. It is fitted between the spring pack and the axle, and is set at 3 degrees. I found it easy to first fit the front mounting bolt, then raise the axle on the jack to compress the spring to align with the rear-mounting hole. Once the rear bolt is in the u-bolts are refitted and the nuts tightened. Refit the wheels and the jeep can be removed from stands for the next step.

Transfer case spacers are the final proceedure. The crossmember bar will be held with two normal bolts and two studs with a nut on each. Remove the two bolts in the normal fashion and also a nut from one of the studs. Take this nut and screw it on the other stud so that the two nuts are locked together. By tightening the two nuts together, they form a locking system, so when you undo the top nut the stud will unlock from its mount and may then be removed. Repeat using the two nuts for the other side. Be sure to support the transfer case crossmember with a jack when removing the four mounting bolts.

Lower the bar with the jack no lower than 30mm and install the one inch spacers. Insert the new mounting bolts to re-attach the crossmember to the chassis.

Holy crap. You’re finished. Stand back and admire you’re lifted XJ. It’s a beautiful thing. When doing a lift it will no doubt put you’re steering geometry out of place, and you’ll need long travel shocks to compensate for the extra four inches you’ve just created.

So who do you see about fixing such things? glad you asked.

Since I still had the original track bar fitted, the front diff was being pulled across to the drivers’ side because this bar needs to be longer. After some research into adjustable trackbars I found one company willing to go where no one has gone before. C.O.R.E 4x4 came to the rescue. C.O.R.E are leaders in custom offroad component manufacturing, if you can dream of it these guys can make it ! BIG TIP: keep an eye on them for some exciting new jeep products to come. Genius Engineers Brett and Glen Grindrod from CORE 4x4 came up with the goods.

C.O.R.E were able to manufacture an adjustable trackbar from my original equipment. The bar was cut and threaded, and retaining the ball joint end which was reverse threaded, a tube was placed in between to form the adjusting section with locking nuts at each end. So, to vary the length of the bar the nuts are loosened, tube section twisted in either direction to lengthen or shorten it, and locking nuts retightened. This bar works an absolute treat since there is no extra mounting hardware to purchase, you retain all original parts.

The bar was expertly manufactured and complies with all engineering standards that are required by law, and production was so quick they had it refitted before I noticed it gone. After the new bar was transformed, I was in search for the perfect set of shocks for the Jeep.

To cope with the increased wheel travel you'll need longer than original shocks. I had a lot of questions regarding which is the best one to fit and so on. Some one had to set me straight, and the answers came from Jason Howe at Arctic Cool Treads.

Jason went through a number of shock absorber options with me and we decided that the Pro Comp ES9000 would be the prime choice to fit. Since I had a more flexible leaf pack this ES9000 will not only give a great ride on the road, but it will perform superbly off road too.

Since the ES9000’s come in sizes’ between 13-36 inches, we had to find what length of shock would be the right one. Jason had the jeep on jacks to measure the amount articulation I had, and selected the one best suited to my 24.5 inches of travel. In no time the guys had them fitted and the jeep was then put on a ramp to make sure everything was working the way we want it.

With the shocks sorted, the only remaining task was getting a wheel alignment. Again Jason was able to help me out.
Before long the jeep had it’s steering sorted, cambers corrected, toes checked and nuts squeezed before being handed back to me. After 30 mins with Jason and his crew the XJ was driving straight again to the delight of many pedestrians.

Now that the lift is installed and complete, I’m back off the road and smiling. Sitting 4 inches taller makes one hellova difference not just off the road but in traffic also. Now all I've got to do is cut the guards, bigger tyres, rock rails.

I would like to thank my new best friends Brett Grindrod and Jason Howe for their guidance and support throughout, without their knowledge and skills who knows how my Jeep would finished up looking ! Also my good mate Thommo for his wrenching, swearing and drinking abilities.

All very much appreciated fellas. Arctic Cool Treads can be contacted on 32741233, and CORE 4x4 on 0402842989.

Tools Required:
carton of prefered beer
stubbie cooler with your favourite logo
friends (highly recommended)
garage jack
floor stand set
coil spring compressors
24mm, 19mm,17mm,14mm,13mm sockets,
and open end ring spanners
Lift kit will fit '95-00 Cherokees.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply