Lighting - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As an ex-rally hoon, I support the adage of, "If some is good, more is better" when it comes to lights. But, I think there's limits and, sometimes, 'brightness' isn't the be all and end all (for reasons of glare and scatter).

All I've done is uprated the loom on the standard (Hella) headlights (relay per filiment, heavy guage wire, relays as close as possible to the bulbs, earths back to battery etc etc) and am running a standard 55 / 60 halogen. I have them aimed to optimise light spread and depth on high beam. They're supplemented by a pair of drive pattern Cibie Turinis (again, relay per filiment blah blah blah) running 100w halogens. I also have a pair of Turini spots, which I think will soon make the transition from a shelf in the garage to the front of the XJ.

Similar setup on my last rally car gave me about 1200 metres down the road, with a relatively even pattern of light reaching almost from B pillar to B pillar (once I've amined them up as I like them). A little glarey, sure, but not as bad as I have found Hellas (too 'white' for my liking). Many HIDs I've sat behind are too 'hot' a colour temp and I'm not convinced about their penetration / spread in rain / dust / fog.

It's personal preference, but I am a Cibie kiddie through and through.
Old 05-12-2012
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a set of Navara Halogen Spotties mounted up front which are great for deserted highway driving but are almost to bright for close in off road work. I also have a set of short LED light bars mounted off my mirrors for lighting up the side of the track but these are strictly off road use only considering the glare that could be possible for other road users. Very hand for when you are caught out late at night with the kangaroos running rampart. It tends to make them stop on the verge of the road and not jump in front of the jeep as much.

I have also done a HID upgrade to my headlights. I ordered the kit from Quadratec and it was a bit $$$ at $600 USD. But I was looking for something better on the highways at night. I really should have done a bit more research however as it turns out HID headlights (Spotties are fine) could be illegal on Jeeps. Still looking into the ADR's but my understanding is for HID headlights to be legal they need to be factory standard, have headlight washers attached and meet the Australian standard or recognised international standard.

This by no means should be taken as gospel just some of what I have found on the net. As I said I have not taken the time to read the ADR's on this yet and you should always reference a source document not just hearsay.
P - pocket

Why does my jeep want to bankrupt me?
Old 05-12-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall View Post
I really should have done a bit more research however as it turns out HID headlights (Spotties are fine) could be illegal on Jeeps. Still looking into the ADR's but my understanding is for HID headlights to be legal they need to be factory standard, have headlight washers attached and meet the Australian standard or recognised international standard.

This by no means should be taken as gospel just some of what I have found on the net. As I said I have not taken the time to read the ADR's on this yet and you should always reference a source document not just hearsay.
I think you're right, Squall. I can recall a lengthy discussion on a Benz forum about just that. If I recall, the upshot was you could fit them if the car had headlight washers (a good many MBs do). The other factor was one of colour temperature. While the temptation is to follow my 'ole, 'If some is good etc' adage, you can land in the brown stuff if your lumens output exceeded the upper limits of the original technology fitted. The tip was to pick a kit that had a colour temperature comparable with, say, halogen 100 high. You'd still get a deeper light saturation up to the cut offs, but overall lumens would keep you OK with the law. Been a little while since I read the actual provision in the Regs through.

Of course, the flip side of this is that while ADRs are (typically) accepted into the various state / territory legislations and regulations, it is those same states and territories that are responsible for their enforcement. The Commonwealth has no jurisdiction in that regard.
Old 13-12-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was lucky enough to win 2 HID spotties in a raffle. I've bought a wiring kit to connect them up with a relay and switch and all. If anyone has any tips about this process in a JK would be great!

JB

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
Old 13-12-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nice and easy JB, and to be honest its exactly the same as for any vehicle.

The wiring loom should connect to the high beam lead at the back of the headlight, via the switch, to the relay. The relay may have one or two earth connections, plus a fused battery lead. Then earth and power from the relay to the headlights.

Here's a diagram as a picture is worth a 1000 words as they say!

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 13-12-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts

A legal requirment of HID headlights are, headlight washers, a correctly focused lens assembly and an auto levelling mechanism for the lens assembly.

I love all the hoons in their rice burners etc that just throw HID lamps into a halogen reflector then blind all other traffic. it's usually about the same time I turn on my twin LED roof mounted reverse lights by "accident"...
Old 13-12-2012
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

For night time wheeling, nothing beats led light bars.
Each has their preference, but mine is. 50" rigid. There is still a lot of cheap junk around though, but certainly some is getting better. They produce a wall of light that makes vision great.

Hid spotlights, incl hid globes in h4 spotties, whilst wheeling in the bush are a pain and next to useless. Way too bright and generally way too focussed. On the highway, ESP open terrain at high speed, they are good.

99% of the time hid globes in standard headlights are a big backwards step over upgraded H4 globes, ie +80% Phillips etc and HD loom. The positioning of the unit against the reflector gives a poor field of light, or blinds oncoming drivers.
Post New Thread  Reply