2 Door Sports - spacious for camping? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default 2 Door Sports - spacious for camping?

G'day fellas.

I'm hoping this is the right spot to post, your forum is a treasure trove of information for a complete newbie to 4x4s and Jeeps!

I went to look at a new (2017) Wrangler Sport today but it seems really tight to fit stuff in to go camping. I'm coming from an i30 and it feels that if I chuck the seats down in the back of the little hatchback it would have more space than the JK?
I'm just wanting to know how many of you guys go camping with your 2 door and what kind of equipment do you take with you? Even with removing the back seat from the Wrangler will there be much room for my stuff? I've got a swag, esky, 20L water container, sleeping bag+pillow, 2 stove gas burner, 2kg gas bottle, frying pan + the cast iron pots.. and I'm sure some other stuff I usually take.

Anyway just wanted your opionons really!

Thanks
Old 08-02-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I used to go camping in my 2 door TJ Wrangler. I took the rear seats out to free up a lot of room so that's a good option if you aren't going to carry passengers.

The swag is going to be the bulkiest item. My suggestion would be to get yourself a set of roof racks and a Rhino flat platform to mount on them. That way you can move the swag and the gas bottle to the roof if you are buying one with a hard top. You are limited though as it's suggested that the hard top is only good for around 35kgs. I've carried a lot more than this on mine without any issues.

To get around this, you can buy an exoskeleton type rack that mounts to the rear bumper and the A pillar, they will carry a couple of hundred kilos and are strong enough for roof top tents.

The Wranglers have so many options when it comes to roof racks as you will find out when you do a little research.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 08-02-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Remove the rear seat and install a roof rack, maybe get a hitch carrier or a simple trailer and you will be all set. I would seriously consider a trailer for longer touring trips but the 2 door is actually quite spacious.

I have fit two double swags, two sleeping bags, two bags of clothes, two pillows, two camping chairs, a 50L eski, a gazebo, fold-up table, a 55L storage container and a few bits and bobs too - all inside the vehicle.

And yes, my Tetris skills are next-level.
Old 08-02-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I used to go camping in my 2 door TJ Wrangler. I took the rear seats out to free up a lot of room so that's a good option if you aren't going to carry passengers.

The swag is going to be the bulkiest item. My suggestion would be to get yourself a set of roof racks and a Rhino flat platform to mount on them. That way you can move the swag and the gas bottle to the roof if you are buying one with a hard top. You are limited though as it's suggested that the hard top is only good for around 35kgs. I've carried a lot more than this on mine without any issues.

To get around this, you can buy an exoskeleton type rack that mounts to the rear bumper and the A pillar, they will carry a couple of hundred kilos and are strong enough for roof top tents.

The Wranglers have so many options when it comes to roof racks as you will find out when you do a little research.
Thanks for that. I was thinking of getting a roof rack and just chucking the swag on top, I see every other Tom, Dick and Harry doing it so I may as well follow the crowd . I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that the aftermarket parts is a rabbit hole and never ends! I'll start with something simple like a roof rack and end up with a fully decked out Wrangler lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_za View Post
Remove the rear seat and install a roof rack, maybe get a hitch carrier or a simple trailer and you will be all set. I would seriously consider a trailer for longer touring trips but the 2 door is actually quite spacious.

I have fit two double swags, two sleeping bags, two bags of clothes, two pillows, two camping chairs, a 50L eski, a gazebo, fold-up table, a 55L storage container and a few bits and bobs too - all inside the vehicle.

And yes, my Tetris skills are next-level.
Wow, that's impressive. Maybe I undersold the Jeep on storage space without the back seat in. I'm going to ask the dealer to show me how much space there is with the seats folded up. Cheers mate
Old 08-02-2018
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

If you leave the rear seat in things will be tight to unpleasant.

With the seats out a lot depends on whether its a one or two person trip. Plan your fit out carefully, drawers, shelves etc can make a massive difference to storage, practicality and access.

Also have a long think about what you carry........ swags are huge compared with a hiking tent and lots of other stuff has more compact replacements.

I've lived out of my shorty for a month ( 9000 km ) without a roof rack. Carried a Jerry of fuel and Water as well as a small ARB fridge and all the other stuff needed.
Sure it took a lot of time fine tuning the storage....... and there wasn't any wasted space but it did the job.
Old 08-02-2018
Established Member

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Just strap the swag to your spare.
Old 09-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Also have a long think about what you carry........ swags are huge compared with a hiking tent and lots of other stuff has more compact replacements.
I should have added, the gazebo and swags were fit in width-ways. They were measured before they were bought to ensure that and come to think of it, most of my camping gear was bought for their sizes to make it easier to fit everything in the JK.

It hasn't changed much with the JKU - I still look for camping gear that can fit in width-ways, regardless of price.