Changing my gear ring... - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

I would modify the socket as they are cheap, the oil pickup is the only spare part you can buy for a varilock and it is expensive the socket retains plenty of strength after slimming down. I have removed bearings of many makes diff carriers without damaging them, using various pullers yet the varilock centre I had to destroy the bearing to get it off as it is just too close to the carrier side.
Old 09-01-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
I would modify the socket as they are cheap, the oil pickup is the only spare part you can buy for a varilock and it is expensive the socket retains plenty of strength after slimming down. I have removed bearings of many makes diff carriers without damaging them, using various pullers yet the varilock centre I had to destroy the bearing to get it off as it is just too close to the carrier side.
Since these are 19mm bolts, I doubt that even grinding the socket down will really work, the sidewalls will be pretty thin. The initial (stock) carrier had 17mm bolts where I could squeeze juuuust a 17 socket in (non impact but 12 point socket). The V8 had already the 4.56 gears with the upgraded bolts installed so I guess they struggled with similar issues.
Since I have to remove the bearing anyway and install new ones (already on the way) I guess i will remove the bearing first and then change the ring. I am not so worried about the oil pickup. I have 3 front and 3 rear diff carriers with them on it so even if I destroy one of them I still have 2 more to use. I might try in building my own bearing remover, since it is not the first time I wanted to change this bearing.
Old 09-01-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts

it may be worth double checking the carrier is the same in the CRD and the V8, i have found when dealing with ARB they offered different lockers for the 3.55 ratio and the 3.73 and up, not sure what the reason was for this.

i have heard the JK gears fit if you drill the carier out, only thing i have found is for fitting them to the ZJ tho
https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/fa...-swap.3063673/
Old 09-01-2023
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straubz View Post
it may be worth double checking the carrier is the same in the CRD and the V8, i have found when dealing with ARB they offered different lockers for the 3.55 ratio and the 3.73 and up, not sure what the reason was for this.

i have heard the JK gears fit if you drill the carier out, only thing i have found is for fitting them to the ZJ tho
https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/fa...-swap.3063673/
I am not using the CRD stuff at all. I am using material I had from my V8 Donor. However the V8 I just send to the junkyard had the ARB front locker had already 4.56 gears on it and I know that the back from the same car had it too (that's where I am getting the 19mm bolts from). I am almost certain the previous owner faced a similar situation and had to install the JK ring and pinon as well and if all goes wrong I am using this carrier instead. Just need to exchange the spider gears since they look a bit bald. I even recall that he mentioned that a lot of the stuff was taken from JK material since it is mostly interchangeable.
Old 10-01-2023
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straubz View Post
I went thru this thread and found exactly what I am facing:

"I've sold easily a dozen sets of JK D44 gears for the ZJ and WJ D44HD Works great! You do need a JK crush sleeve and the proper yoke as well. And ZJ owners will need to drill out the carrier for 7/16" bolts."
Looks like it applies to ZJ owners only. But as he said I had to get the right crush sleeve (maybe 25% of the length for the the WJ pinion) and I ordered another rear yoke for a JK which has less splines from IRO which I am going to install.
Old 10-01-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

This information is gold - knowing how to fit D44 parts into the D44A.

With respect to the different carriers for the CRD & V8, that applies only to the Dana 30 (front diff) where the 3.55 ratio (CRD) uses a different carrier to the V8's 3.73 ratio. That is, it is the ratio change that is causing the different front carrier, not the CRD/V8 change. It's a D30 thing. The D44A does not change carrier between ratios.
Old 10-01-2023
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
This information is gold - knowing how to fit D44 parts into the D44A.

With respect to the different carriers for the CRD & V8, that applies only to the Dana 30 (front diff) where the 3.55 ratio (CRD) uses a different carrier to the V8's 3.73 ratio. That is, it is the ratio change that is causing the different front carrier, not the CRD/V8 change. It's a D30 thing. The D44A does not change carrier between ratios.
Yepp, true. I was uncertain till I read this. And the good thing is that you get quite a bit of material for JK locally and you do not have to go back and order it overseas. I had the gear ring already for 2 years but never bothered to install it. I got it from SBR Offroad in Perth and it was something around 250 Dollar, cheaper than the ring I ordered for the Dana 30 which was made for the WJ. But with the additional yoke and other parts I will end up in the same ballpark.

Only issue is, that some part are still cheaper if you order them overseas then locally. If the amounts do not have a massive gap I will still consider it buying it locally nonetheless.