XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 60 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-02-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

Was yours shorter on the left Alex? I think the body tolerances were a bit sloppy when they built them.
Old 19-02-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

I can’t remember now oldon. It was ages ago when I was playing around with that. I did find adjusting the castor to reduce vibes lightened the steering and the problem wasn’t too bad. However, I’ve put the caster back a bit to stop the wandering at speed.
I have asked the shop to play with it, as they deal with XJ’s all day. Pretty sure they will have some base line stuff they do. Also, desperate to get the regear at the same time and look at bearings etc. Hopefully I get a smoother ride back as it’s going to cost a bit..

Cheers,
Old 20-02-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

Thanks Alex, hope you found the alignment guru.
Old 21-02-2020
AJOR Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldon View Post
Thanks Alex, hope you found the alignment guru.
Thanks Oldon, i think so. 4WD USA in Perth have been doing Jeeps for ever and understand all the problems and fixes.

Ive just got back from working away and have a few goodies that arrived in the post.
I now have a spare distributor with cap etc.. Advertised as a genuine Sagem, but i don't think so. Anyway, it will make a good backup.

Will remove the electric seat again and fit these new front/back worm gears. Love my electric seats!! and hopefully they will be fixed for good.

Also got a big pack of LED interior bulbs. They were only a few bucks on Ebay, so hopefully they will fit. I have another variety pack of bulbs coming, so between the two, i should be good to go.

Will tidy up the old girl ready for next Thursday when she goes into the operating theatre for some major surgery..

Cheers,
Old 21-02-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

alex the bulbs with the pointy ends are useless wont fit the other type should do the foot wells and console lights the rear tailgate light is a flat bulb with wire loops on each end
when you pull the overhead console light covers off I found a sm flat screwdriver pry from the side near the switch work it a bit and it will pop then there is a sm tab down the other end its out once you pull one you will know what I am talking about you really have to push the led bulbs in and straight the old glass ones slide in and out easy ........ have fun
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Last edited by LuluBelle; 21-02-2020 at 06:51 PM. Reason: beer
Old 21-02-2020
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Big cyclone off the coast of West Australia, so i was sent home from work. I can finally get a few projects done around the house. Don't have to do any on the Jeep, as i am happy where i am at the moment.

Anyway, Rockauto delivered the rest of my sensors, so i thought i would sort them out and get them ready for replacement/storage.

Pic below showing most of the sensors i know of. There are a few more hidden around the place, but these ones will give you the most grief. NTK seems to be a well respected quality brand. Standard are just a good all round replacement. If your really fussy, find some Mopar replacements but be prepared to pay the price. Don't go with the no name Chinese parts. Some may be OK, but some are dodgy.

OK, on the back row from left we have the O2 sensor, Cam position Sensor and MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure).
On the front row from left we have the TPS (Throttle position sensor), CPS (Crank position sensor), and front temp sensor (not the one for the temp gauge).

These ones are for my 1995 4.0 XJ (pre-update). Yours might be a bit different based on year and engine.

The O2 sensor, MAP sensor and front temp sensor get imputs on air pressure, coolant temp and exhaust temperatures and will set fuel/air mix and all that sort of stuff. My Jeep is running well, but using heaps of juice. After my regear i will start taking measurements and start replacing these 3 sensors. I will keep the ones i take off as spares, as i know they work, but perhaps not working efficiently in regard to giving my engine the best readings.

The TPS, CPS and Cam sensor provide inputs on timing etc. If one of these is playing up, guaranteed you can usually trace it to one of these three. My Cam sensor just went out like a light switch a few weeks ago. Took 5 minutes to pop the new spare in and the Jeep fired straight up. I believe that if any of these sensors has packed up, then you should get a code in the onboard diagnostics. Important to know how to read your codes in the OBD1 and OBD2 systems.

If you get stranded on the side of the road or track, its easy to check codes, find fault and swap one of these bad boys out. Keep the tools needed in the truck along with other spares such as fan belt, distributor cap/rotor button/ht leads... and any other stuff you can think off.

Happy XJ Jeeping and don't let a minor sensor issue get you stuck....

Cheers,
good stuff, if you have the time, might be worth installing the parts and running them for a week or 2, just to prove they are not busted out of the box.
.....good luck with it I keep mine under the back seat.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 21-02-2020
AJOR Gold

Thanks Mark, i will give the bulbs a try in the next day or two, as i have a lot on.. going crabbing ha ha..

Rainman, when i get the Jeep back from its regear, i am going to check fuel consumption. Then i will add some of the sensors to see if they are OK and to see if the fuel usage is reduced.

All the spares will be kept in the Jeep. I have a rear set of draws for that..

Cheers,