GoPro tips and advice? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
What editors do people use on the resulting videos? I have just downloaded the GoPro free one but haven't had much of a play with it yet.
was unaware gopro had their own editor (mind u iv had mine for a while its an original gopro not H3 not H2 just plain old hero lol i need to update lol.

i used something called "video pad editor" but just found out i only had a 2 week trial and would have to purchase it.

would be nice to know if anyone has a free video editor (that is user friendly and basic)
Old 12-06-2013
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts
Default GoPro tips and advice?

Good info even though I just bought the lic ego which is another competitor of the go pro but very similar, I use the wifi feature from my iPhone while its mounted outside on the windscreen aswell, but still getting use to it.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 14-06-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGC View Post
Good info even though I just bought the lic ego which is another competitor of the go pro but very similar, I use the wifi feature from my iPhone while its mounted outside on the windscreen aswell, but still getting use to it.
i mount mine on the inside keeps wind noise to a minimum also the noise is quieter as i dont have to use the water proof casing .

also it keeps its out of the way of the wipers and also keeps it clean.
Old 18-06-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Thanks guys. Some good info there. The Frame sounds like a great idea for in the car. Have worked all the controls out but the missus wants the LCD backpack so we see pics and vids while still out having fun.

Just noticed some external battery chargers but then it will probably be used in the car most of the time anyway for now.

Sent automatically by my stupid phone while I was busy working. Honest boss....

Bear in mind that the touchscreen LCD bacpack comes with a few extra case backs, including one that lets you plug in external power (useful as the LCD just adds to the power draw).

As for other accessories - get the suction cup windscreen mount. It's really, really strong. I actually used the one I used to have to pull a dent out of a car once. It is awesome.

For editing, I used Final Cut Pro. I realise this might be slight overkill I found the supplied editing software a bit limiting for anything but the most basic stuff.
Old 18-06-2013
HydroKing

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

They're great little cameras. I use mine on the dirt bikes, not on the jeep so much. If you're going to get it for use in the jeep then definately get it setup with 12v power or get a spare battery. Make sure you use the open back case because the full waterproof case doesn't let much sound in. I have the rollbar attachments, mostly for attaching to dirt bike frames but they can be good for bullbars, jeep rollbars etc. Change the view/angles often, it makes it more interesting!

Here's some videos of mine filmed entirely with the GoPro. This one was me holding my helmet with the GoPro attached filming me and the boys out practicing and towards the end there's some footage of me riding my bike with the cam attached to my helmet: http://youtu.be/yRkeD8EhEH0

This one i tried a few different positions while at a competition. Kinda looks funny but makes it interesting. Fast forward to 4:00 minutes to get a good idea of what i mean, there's some more multiple angles at about 6:00 minutes: http://youtu.be/CefMUDb0GaU

cheers
Old 18-06-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

I have been running GoPro since version1, still on version 2 as I haven't upgraded yet. main use was on my Lotus 7 for filming out adventures in the car.

My advise don't bother with the LCD BacPac I have one and never use it wast of time really, with the GoPro 3 you can use your phone to see what your filming just turn the WIFI off once you have the shot lined up, to be honest though you can line everything up by eye and it gets easier to do the more you use it, in 3 years of use I have never filmed rubbish by having the camera pointing the wrong way.

I'd also use 720p 25fps as it won't use as much batterie as 1080p and will last longer although the battire life on the 3's is the reason I haven't upgraded. If it was me I would spend money on mounting options like a extension pole/wand, head mount and the Motorsport suction cup which I use the most, get a good tether system made too so you don't lose the camera if it manages to fall off.

For editing I just use Windows Movie maker as I'm not into big flash movies and find the big movie editing programs very time consuming and zap hours away from your life .

Red JKU, AEV Front & Rear Bar, AEV 2.5 XT Lift.
TJM Winch, Sharpwrax Super Spoiler.
Old 18-06-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

Hi Dave

These would be my main setting for a GoPro 3 if I was setting it up from new to use for Jeep video or any car video

720p 25fps (save battrie and looks good on big screens)
11MP Wide
3 Photos in 1 second (burst mode)
Spot Meter Off
One Button Mode on
PAL
OSD On
Status Indicators Lights 4
Sound Indicator on 100%
Looping Video off
Protune off
Manual Power off 60secs

Also depending on mounting you would have to change the orientation in the Upside Down settings which I dod as needed but leave the rest alone, I have One Button mode to on as it means I know when I press the power on button I'm recording right away when i stop recording I know it will switch the unit off within 1 mins if I walk away while its still on..

Hope this helps

Red JKU, AEV Front & Rear Bar, AEV 2.5 XT Lift.
TJM Winch, Sharpwrax Super Spoiler.
Post New Thread  Reply