AEV 2nd gen snorkel install - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep Installation and How To's
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2013
Rated the trail

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default AEV 2nd gen snorkel install

I received my AEV gen2 snorkel on Thursday from Jeep konnection, great guys to deal with and highly recommend them!! Too bad they are no longer vendors on this site!But, Thursday night the snorkel was on and functioning... A very easy job to do (If you have the balls to cut a big arse hole in your hood) and the instructions we clear and relatively easy to follow (I printed out two sets to make sure I had the right size stencil and to reread everything)... So here is the story of how I did it and ill include pictures of each stage.

As handy tips and tricks watch the AEV gen 1 installs on YouTube before you attempt this as it is quite scary if you haven't already done one before, this being my second snorkel install onto a jeep. There isnt much difference in the installs between gen 1 and 2.

here is a link to the AEV gen2 install instructions:

http://aev-conversions.com/isheets/aev_jk_snorkel.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 10-02-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-02-2013
Rated the trail

I first made sure that I had all the bits I needed to glue, cut, insulate, cover etc etc so here is a list of things

Sikaflex 227

Heat resistant black paint

18volt drill which meant it wouldn't kick out on me like a power drill would as I could set the clutch on it.. Learned that one out the hard way with my previous jeep as the power drill kicked out on two of us holding the damn thing and it cut the aircon pipe.. I also had a small angle grinder with a cutting wheel... A dremel or a drill nibbler would do the job too

You need a hole saw drill bit I think it was a 45mm hole saw bit (it is specified in the instructions)

And tape to stop paint chopping when cutting and to stop over spray, I used the blue stuff from bunnings

You'll also need a 12mm spanner or long reach socket and the right sized allan key. You'll need a T40 torx bit to get the body pannel bolts out...

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 10-02-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2013
Rated the trail

To start make sure you read through your instructions at least twice before starting and have watched the videos on YouTube to give you a good idea...

On the back page of the instructions is the cut out stencil you'll need to use to cut the holes and mark up the drill spots. You need to make sure this has been printed to size. At the bottom of the same page is a square with measurements next to it... Make sure it measures the exact length as this means the cut out is the right size!! It should measure a square one inch which is 25.4mm.. If it is the right size cut it out!!

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 10-02-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2013
Rated the trail

Prepare your car now first move the hood about 150mm away from the body and cover everything with a blanket or towel etc i propped up the hood with four old towels

I then taped off the entire area where the cut is going to be with tape

And then measure exactly what the instructions say to measure from the angle where the latch is to the start of the stencil.

I had a conversation with another jeeper who was going to install his but he seemed to think the cut would be too short however I found the cut slightly bigger however the black guard is going to cover this eventually as seen in previous pic..

Tape the stencil in place measure it a few times!! If in the correct spot use a sharp punch to mark the where the pilot hole needs to be drilled on the stencil... Drill the holes through both panels.. On the new 3.6s you'll find that the heat shield clip might cause you grief, don't worry it will be cut off anyway..

Once the two 45mm holes have been cut through both panels get the grinder and start the cuts..

Old 09-02-2013
Rated the trail

Once the hole is cut you'll need to cut the under panel of the hood slightly bigger... Following the instructions use your finger as a guide to make a line to make a cut just above the first fold

When done and painted it should look like this..

Old 09-02-2013
Rated the trail

While waiting for the paint you need to remove the air box... On the 3.6 there are a few bolts to remove. The first is next to the factory "snorkel" on the left hand side along where the power steering fluid bottle is and then remove the bolts for the air intake long the radiator

Then loosen the the clamps on the engine and the air box and move the inlet pipe..

Once the intake pipe and the inlet pipe, and all three bolts removed and kept somewhere safe, remove the air box..

Old 09-02-2013
Rated the trail

I don't have pictures of the air box bit but basically in the 3.6 you have to remove the pop rivets in the oEM snorkel and squirt a fair amount of silicone into the intake when inserting the snorkel. Once in, there are marked holes in the snorkel needing to be drilled out and new pop rivets put in.. Then go nuts with the sikaflex everywhere there is a crease on the intake inside and out seal it and let it dry for a short while!!