KJ Fuel economy thread - Page 24 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-05-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

As Loric discovered after much stuffing around, there are two locations where the tyre size has to be reset (BCM and ABS). If the ABS is reset first it will remind you to do the BCM, but there is no reminder if you do the BCM first. Suggest printing out Loric's post on the reset steps and taking it along to the service guys - I handed it to my local guy (and he didn't have a clue how to do it until he had the sheets).
Old 30-05-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Nellie View Post
According to the owner's manual the computer displays the average fuel consumption "since the last reset". Strictly speaking the displayed consumption would therefore be a cocktail over weeks or months of freeway, suburbs, lo-range, city, 4wd and highway driving, unless you reset between trips (unlikely). In my (humble) opinion this would be a fairly useless figure.
I reset after every fuel refill. I also reset my Kms on the in dash odm. Seems pretty correct when i manually work out consumption.

I have done this for every car i have owned. Over the years i have seen a difference in consumption towards the end of my service periods. On my last long road trip i noticed a jump, checked the air filter and was full of crap. Gave it a clean and hey presto back to normal. It helps that i drive the jeep consistently conservatively on the black top, easier to spot spikes..

I can even notice when my wife's drives it, consumption is heaps higher lol.. When i drive her car now thats another senario!
Old 15-06-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had the pinion reset on Thursday and im now getting much better consumption figures.

Alot more predictable for gear changes as well..
Old 21-06-2009
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm running standard all over, and getting about 13.7lt/100km as my everyday drive. A little better economy on long distance, not much though.

You think they would have given us bigger fuel tanks with how thirsty the 3.7s' are.
Old 04-07-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

According to Australian 4WD Action Sept 08 edition, a fuel saving of upto
9.2% can be achieved by running a snorkel.

Last edited by Dirt Pig; 04-07-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 15-07-2009
Renegade

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Didn't spot much of a difference in fuel economy but towing the trailer was easier. It doesn't try to rev as much with cruise control on now whilst towing. That was a problem before. Ram air is good but not a miracle. Adding the winch bar and uping the tyre profile blew any gains away but I want to play more than driving a fuel miser. Hopefully they'll sort out the hybridsfor future 4WDers.

2012 WK2 GC Overland CRD
Old 15-07-2009
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Sorry I can't see how a snorkel can improve fuel ecomony, especially on a CRD where the air is rammed in by the turbo regardless of its source. A snorkel is another piece of gear hanging out in the airstream to create drag and increase the total frontal area of the vehicle. You should not get a snorkel for fuel economy reasons, there are only two reasons for having a snorkel: serious dust and deep water. Unless you are encountering these on a regular basis its something that you'll be carrying around for as long as you have the vehicle and getting no return on your investment other than looking tough. I cringe when I see people driving around Sydney with snorkels on their Prados and know they will never really need to use it as it was intended.
Post New Thread  Reply