(Not so) mysterious clunk from steering. - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-02-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Oh BTW RTL the new steering hoses are a real bundle of fun... if/when you get to pick them up you will think "they are the wrong ones"...I did!... they are about twice the length and have to be strapped to the body cross member I have a couple of photos somewhere if your interested.. on later models there are brackets to hold the hoses but on older models you will have to be a bit imaginative with he securing method.
Old 16-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 48 Times in 45 Posts

Yeah if you've got a picture of how & where you fitted them, could be useful info for a hopefully distant time.

Being longer how much power steering fluid do you need to fill the system ?

Turismo07 Do you know if a new fuel filter housing for my 2007 build will be of a metal construction and come with the sensor ?
Old 16-02-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT View Post
Turismo07 Do you know if a new fuel filter housing for my 2007 build will be of a metal construction and come with the sensor ?
I am not sure TBH, and I don't know if the 2012+ metal versions are a straight swap into the earlier models. If you find out, let me know.

As I said, I just disconnected my fuel filter heater, not needed for me in Perth climate, and doesn't set off a dash light or anything so no adverse affects, and no chance of it one day melting my fuel filter housing.

If you were asking about the 'water in fuel sensor', this is a separate thing. It has its own wiring pigtail and plug, and the sensor connects to the cap/tap at the very bottom of the fuel filter (which screws into the fuel filter housing at the top). If you've ever done a service and changed your fuel filter (recommended every 10,000km at most) you will know what I am talking about.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 16-02-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 16-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Never changed the fuel filter
Do all the other regular maintenance but not that.
Not too sure on the full procedure.

You can enlighten me if you want

Usually get it changed every 2 years about 25,000 KMs max. just to keep some contact up with the local dealer (not that they give a monkeys)

Have made enquiries as to price for new complete unit after reading about melt down / failures from a couple of guys on a forum over here.
As it comes with fuel filter attached may just go ahead and order one with some discount. + check out the cost of a new sensor
Will let you know if it comes with an updated metal housing. I imagine it would.
Old 17-02-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Fuel filter is pretty easy.. you have to take off the main bracket attached to the chassis and it all just falls out as this grips the filter itself. Little tricky tightening the filter clamp when reassembling but not that hard.
I've not posted pics for a while but will try now and load some of the steering hoses.. the first tow pics are of a brand new late model from underneath with my edits to show where things are:
Old 17-02-2018
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

You wont have the clips seen on the xmember.. so this is what I did:

This is what the leak looks like... the pipe connection to the pump is the culprit..it gets a hairline crack in it (barely visible when you take it off). you can see the drip (red oil): photo is rotated left..sorry (I can see your head going sideways now )
Old 17-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Thats an informative picture thanks
Going to be a clear day tomorrow but cold so intending to inspect the rear offside brake as its getting a little warm occasionally
Probably the caliper (got one handy with banjo bolt & washers ready)
Will take a look at that pipe on the power steering to familiarise myself with location in case of future issues
Post New Thread  Reply