I'm Hopeing this is not a Head Gasket - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

well awg you might be right and at $25 the Chemiweld is worth a try just got some off ebay if this helps great I can put off the head job for a while
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 16-11-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Depending on what concentration your coolant is, you can actually smell it out of the exhaust, glycol has a "sweet" smell.

As for Chemiweld, I have used it in the past with varying degrees of success, it seems to hold much longer with water in the system, not glycol.
Old 18-11-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
I been following this thread cause my coolant dissapears from the res tank at the rate of ~1litre per 2000km.

It does not seem to be leaking out anywhere.

am going to make a home made cooling system pressure kit,
have a UV torch that shows up green coolant, so when i get time to take the abused DD off the road, will have to check it out

in the past, with head gaskets, there has always been a characteristic poor idle...with associated radiator bubbling and milky oil soon after...never had one "stay the same"..or get better

If I was as suspicious as you, I would be tempted to chuck in a bottle of Chemiweld, which can hold a minor crack or leak for ages

there would be little to lose
mine is similar, but uses a bit less. I think its leaking from the welsch plugs...
Old 22-11-2017
AJOR Bronze

Well I will try the chemiweild but still think I need a HeadJob..... went down the river today to run the dog and there was drovers there with a mob of cattle so we went further out to the 18 mile as soon as I went up to 100kph the temp shot up to the red....

I have a newish rad water pump thermostat and cover hoses all the goodies on the trip home I stayed on 85kph under 2000 rpm temp held at 105 I had my fan override on as well I noticed just before dark a puddle or wet dirt under the expansion tank will have a good look tomorrow
better start saving my pennies
this might hurt in the mean time I will shove the chemiweild down its neck .....
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 22-11-2017
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,565 Times in 4,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
Well I will try the chemiweild but still think I need a HeadJob..... went down the river today to run the dog and there was drovers there with a mob of cattle so we went further out to the 18 mile as soon as I went up to 100kph the temp shot up to the red....

I have a newish rad water pump thermostat and cover hoses all the goodies on the trip home I stayed on 85kph under 2000 rpm temp held at 105 I had my fan override on as well I noticed just before dark a puddle or wet dirt under the expansion tank will have a good look tomorrow
better start saving my pennies
this might hurt in the mean time I will shove the chemiweild down its neck .....
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Make sure you clean out the cooling system properly before you do the treatment. Follow the instructions properly. You dont just chuck it in. Has to be added the correct way for the correct time along with the correct driving during treatment & then flushed out. You can leave it a little longer to make sure its properly sealed.
Good Luck !
Old 28-11-2017
AJOR Bronze

thanks layback40.......well I got the chemiweld today read the destructions ....... engine flush coming up then I will chuck it down its neck and see what happens it wont take much for the xj to get hot running on water only lol if it buys me a few months great as I only do 11.5 k a day down the river and it is not over heating just surging and sluggish when cold but temps spike if you push it a bit I will eventually pull the head as I want to keep the xj
so I will let everyone know how things go in the next few days ..........................now more beer
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 02-12-2017
AJOR Bronze

well I think I am going to chicken out on the chemiweld I have read so many reviews my head is spinning....or is it the homebrew
needless to say about 70% say its shit hot if the directions are followed...and about 30% say its trouble if you intend to keep the engine/car..................
my cooling system is newish all under 3 yrs old and I don't want to chance gumming it up .... I think I might get a compression tester off ebay only around $20 and test my compression see if the gasket has let go between cylinders
I will post my results of the compression test in the mean time I only drive it 11.5 k a day so I will nurse it but today when trying to get down the river it rained too muddy river mud like glue 20kph in 4x4 sideways it ran perfectly? and on the highway no surging at all? so I think I will start with a compression test
and while the plugs are out crank it and see if any coolant spits out ...............
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Post New Thread  Reply