Street legal considerations - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-07-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
Ffom my recollection from 2 years ago, in VIC, no engineering for up to 3”. Anything above 3”-6” requires engineering. Beyond 6” is a no no except for some cases of extreme mods.
Pretty sure its 50mm lift in VIC so 2".
Old 24-07-2018
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimo View Post
Which document are you referring to?
Old 24-07-2018
Jedi Master

Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Old 24-07-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Is it already regod in Vic? If so, I'd keep it as is. But you'll be going bloody hard to use the tyres and suspension you have on a lot of Vic tracks. Unless you wanna do hard wheeling, I don't feel the lift and giant tyres are worth it for the on road problems... Try to find a 2 or 3" lift and swap it for your one and sell the big tyres and go a 33 or something or even 32/31... My XJ is 2" lift and 28.5's, I do most tracks all my mates do with way bigger tyres and lift.... All a matter of what you want out of it. Touring rig or just a rockcrawling bush basher?
Old 24-07-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishW96 View Post
Is it already regod in Vic? If so, I'd keep it as is. But you'll be going bloody hard to use the tyres and suspension you have on a lot of Vic tracks. Unless you wanna do hard wheeling, I don't feel the lift and giant tyres are worth it for the on road problems... Try to find a 2 or 3" lift and swap it for your one and sell the big tyres and go a 33 or something or even 32/31... My XJ is 2" lift and 28.5's, I do most tracks all my mates do with way bigger tyres and lift.... All a matter of what you want out of it. Touring rig or just a rockcrawling bush basher?
Well I did a bit of more research. And I found a message from the previous owner where he stated that it is actually a 6inch lift.
I thought this thru and giving up on the WJ would cause me quite a significant loss. Not so much in money but primarily in time and what I went thru.

So what I am going to do is this: I bring down the lift to 4 inch. 4 inch because I can do it by simply swap the spring and the shocks. If I bring it down to less than 4 inc I need to exchange track bar, long arm, sway bar connector. I also will get rid of the 35 inch tire and get 31 inch tires instead. I still might be 1 inch over the limit but it is at least not so obvious as it is right now and I can avoid that the police stop me and label my car as a defect by the sheer size as of now.

This can be done with a minimal investment of 1000 Dollar which is still ok for me. Better than losing 5000 Dollar or more.
Old 24-07-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

It actually 3 inch. Just read it up. It has been changed in recent times. This due to align the laws in NSW and in QLD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimo View Post
Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited by JoergM; 24-07-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 24-07-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
Hi Mate,

Just an opinion coz like an ace, everybody’s got one.

#1: Sensible, make sense
#2: You would have to sell it cheap for parts. It is not roadworthy anywhere in Australia.
#3: Possible but sad for the WJ
#4: You will not be able to as wayyy beyond limits.
#5: Crossing the roa
d blind folded or on the mobile..fb, snapchat or something...RISKY

Ffom my recollection from 2 years ago, in VIC, no engineering for up to 3”. Anything above 3”-6” requires engineering. Beyond 6” is a no no except for some cases of extreme mods.

Not sure how it is in QLD/VIC but in NSW, one would need only a PINK slip if the vehicle was previously registered and rego has not lapsed. PINK slip tests are minimal, ie: brakes, lights, etc but and other modifications not even looked at. So if you were to modify your Jeep while rego is current, you could get away with registering it but not necessarily make it legal to drive. Kinda cheating yourself really.

Sorry that the previous owner did not make that clear to you but then again......
Thanks again Tyvokka.

The roadworthy actually states that steering, tires and suspension has been inspected and approved.

For my understanding any decent inspector should have asked for the engineering certificate or simply refused the roadworthy. Why do you have to go through that process if these find of cases don't get identified?

I have the roadworthy with me (the previous owner has most likely left Australia for US one of the reasons he sold the car) and I called the company who provided the roadworthy and asked for clarification. I am still waiting for a reply (if I will ever get one) bit even the guy on the phone said that this car should have never gotten a roadworthy under these circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk