Grand cherokee pics share them (ZJ/WJ) - Page 213 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-07-2020
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobz View Post
Sometimes an auto locker will be ok.

If you're daily driving it, you might find it annoying.

Then again, some people don"t even notice it's there

I couldn't help but notice it. There is this one traffic lit intersection that always got me. To turn right at this intersection you have to stop, to give way at least. You're sitting there on the brakes, waiting, it's got a good gradient. You get a gap and go turn right, and the bloody auto locker would engage, it'd try drive the front end straight while you're turning. Back right hand tyre would chirp, bang and carry on.

Best solution ---> Avoid that scenario, especailly towing
I had a Ford Explorer with the Aussie Locker in the front, they are an on demand 4x4. The cheat to get around that was what they called the "brown wire mod", it involved cutting the brown wire that ran with the wire loom along the door frame, running a wire up to a rocker switch (or whatever) and a wire back. That bypassed the computer from sending wheel slip signal from the rear wheels, and gave you 2 wheel drive. Flip the switch and bingo you had the auto locker working.
Don't know if the Jeep system works similar? But both American cars of same era.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Old 13-07-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 231 Times in 188 Posts

There's no electrical interference in the 4wd system of the WJ.

I remember during the annual road-worthiness test the inspector kept asking me how to disconnect the front axle or the rear LSD electrically (fuse, engine off etc), as my NP247 or my rear LSD would grip during the rear brake test.
Old 31-07-2020
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider170 View Post
small wheel lift

and a little flex
LCMP?

Old 10-08-2020

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Default Dargo pub

Old 10-08-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

sorry steelo25, i didn't see your comment, no it's at grandchester road not far from gatton.
Old 10-08-2020
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Ok, just looked a bit like a series of climbs there.

Old 30-08-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 231 Times in 188 Posts

Just 4-5 meters from this I planned to exit the ravine. The front tires did not bite to pull me out, so struggled for an hour, back and forth, with the car flexed up and at one point the rear ARB started to leak. It was still locked and eventually I got out of the ravine. No more leaks on flat ground.

I guess that being flexed, reversing (it pushes the ring gear away from the pinion) up on the side of the ravine and a weak aluminum housing allowed the carrier to move and leak.

Guess who's getting a rear truss and a stronger diff cover? I thought I could get away because I had small tires....
Post New Thread  Reply